1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Norton SystemWorks 2006 - Speed Disk Problem.

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Billed, Feb 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Billed

Billed Thread Starter

I am Using System Works 2006 Premier and Optimised both of my disks however, now each time I restart my computer Speed Disk starts and I have to manually stop it, scheduling boxes are all un-ticked.

I know a lot of people can Symantec but I had been using System Works 2002 Professional and had no problems, BUT this is a different beast – not VERY different though, more disappointing if anything.

I have contacted Symantec email support, they issued a job number and asked me to look at the knowledge base while waiting for someone to make contact – I had already ‘Been there done that’ that was how I got to the email support link.

48 hours later Symantec came back to ask if the problem had been fixed using the solution they sent – I replied that it wasn’t and that I STILL needed help ….. That was 2 days ago. Bloody hopeless.

So here I am.

Any help appreciated.

2. 1101doc

1101doc

I had the same problem when I used Norton. My answer was to go to "Services" (under Administrative Tools in Start Menu- or just type services.msc in "Run"), and "Disable" the "Speed Disc Service." This stops it, but the next time you want to use it, you must return and re-enable the service.

3. AE4TR

AE4TR

You might want to try this: Go to START, RUN, type in MSCONFIG when msconfig comes up click on STARTUP, then in the items listed look for the one you want to keep from starting when you start the computer, make sure it's unchecked.. click apply, or ok.. and restart the computer. It will notify you that have config running, check the box to stop it, and click ok..
    Hope this helps.

4. Billed

Billed Thread Starter

I had the same problem when I used Norton. My answer was to go to "Services" (under Administrative Tools in Start Menu- or just type services.msc in "Run"), and "Disable" the "Speed Disc Service." This stops it, but the next time you want to use it, you must return and re-enable the service.

Thanks for the 2 replies to date.

However I have only been able to try the one above because I can't identify "Speed Disk" in the STARTUP list as per the second reply.

Will let you know how it goes.

5. 1101doc

1101doc

The Speed Disc process is NOPDB.exe. I doubt that you will find anything under start-up. The "maintainence" process (nopdb) is started by the Speed Disc "Service." It does not run under an instance of "svchost" because it is not a system process.

I also found 2006 edition disappointing-and quirky. Got to the point with "support" where they said un/re-install. BIG problems (4 days)! I just dropped it and went with Zone Alarm Internet Suite. After all, I was running ZA firewall in addition to Norton, anyway.
    All said and done, my total idle process load was down by 10-12. Good luck. If you get to the place where you decide to uninstall, use the Symantec Norton removal tool. If not you may also have problems.

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I have to go with the previous post, I've stopped using Norton products altogether nowadays, they've simply become too bloated and buggy.

7. Billed

Billed Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for the input - Symantec finally got back to me today just to ask the same question they asked me last week, they may have out sourced to India or china or where ever because the person handling my problem certainly has no comprehension of BASIC ENGLISH.

8. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I rest my case. ;)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/544575

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice