Norton SystemWorks errors and illegal ops

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

afb1957

I have recently Downloaded the Norton SystemWorks 2002 for my windows 98 program. Since loading this program I have been getting illegal operations in NMAIN, NAV32 and one in RNAAPP that shutdown the virus scan I was running online. I have got this blue fatal exception OD has occurred at 0028:c024244E in VXD VMM (oF)+0000044E. I can not perform virus scan online or off of this program.
I have enclosed what is running on startup below.

CleanSweep Smart Sweep-Internet Sweep Startup Group "C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton CleanSweep\csinsm32.exe"
Norton Disk Doctor Startup Group "C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton Utilities\NDD32.EXE" /q
Norton System Doctor Startup Group "C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton Utilities\SYSDOC32.EXE" /startup
Norton Registry Tracker Startup Group "C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton Utilities\REGTRK.EXE" startup
Weather Registry (Per-User Run) C:\PROGRAM FILES\AWS\WEATHERBUG\WEATHER.EXE 1
LoadPowerProfile Registry (Machine Run) Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
EM_EXEC Registry (Machine Run) c:\mouse\system\em_exec.exe
DLF_00000B00 Registry (Machine Run) C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\Vcdlf.exe /c
SystemTray Registry (Machine Run) SysTray.Exe
NAV Agent Registry (Machine Run) c:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\NORTON~1\NAVAPW32.EXE
NPROTECT Registry (Machine Run) c:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton Utilities\nprotect.exe
QD FastAndSafe Registry (Machine Run) c:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton CleanSweep\QDCSFS.exe /startup
SchedulingAgent Registry (Machine Service) mstask.exe
ScriptBlocking Registry (Machine Service) "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Script Blocking\SBServ.exe" -reg
CSINJECT.EXE Registry (Machine Service) c:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton CleanSweep\CSINJECT.EXE
NPROTECT Registry (Machine Service) c:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton Utilities\nprotect.exe
SymTray - Norton SystemWorks Registry (Machine Service) c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SymTray.exe "Norton SystemWorks"

I need to know what I should do to get this program working properly. Do I need to uninstall and reinstall it or what. Also why is it that I can not scan for virus at their site online?:mad:

afb1957
Welcome to TSG!
I would suggest removing these items from startup since they may be conflicting at startup. The major error you are receiving is from windows virtual memory manager (VMM) and is probably due to all the activity you are trying to do at startup. The NAV Scanner engine take awhile to start and will error in conflict. If you wish to run them always at startup then create shortcuts in you C:\windows\programs\startup folder.

Clean Sweep need not run every startup unless you are really crunched for space on the hard drive.
CleanSweep Smart Sweep-Internet Sweep Startup Group "C:\Program Files\Norton
SystemWorks\Norton CleanSweep\csinsm32.exe"

Running disc doctor at startup is like running scandisk! Totally unnecessary every startup
Norton Disk Doctor Startup Group "C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton Utilities\NDD32.EXE" /q

It is not necessary to test and recheck every piece of hardware since windows did most of that already
Norton System Doctor Startup Group "C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton Utilities\SYSDOC32.EXE" /startup

Same as clean sweep above
SystemWorks\Norton CleanSweep\QDCSFS.exe /startup

Note also running a registry checker and repair at startup using Norton is also redundant because Windows already does that.

All these programs you should remove can be run from the utilities
section of Norton. I periodically run them, sometimes once per week.

afb1957

Davey

When I went into msconfig. to stop these programs from running at start up I received an illegal operation in NAVAPW32 caused a general protection fault in module USER>EXE at 0003:00008fb3. Why did this occur after making changes? I have did not restart my computer after changes were made is this what caused that error?

Attachments

afb1957
Did you just disable the items I suggested or did you disable more?
Dave

afb1957

I just disabled what you told me to. And thanks for the welcome here.
By the way I have also been to the norton site about this product and there seems to be an awful lot of people there who are also having problems similar to me.
Could you tell me why I received that illegal when I was scanning for virus online at norton? That was when I received it on the RNAAPP.:confused:

afb
Lets try this also. I missed one of the cleansweep first pass, so uncheck in msconfig.

Missed this cleansweep one!
CSINJECT.EXE Registry (Machine Service) c:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton CleanSweep\CSINJECT.EXE

and

QD FastAndSafe Registry (Machine Run) c:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton CleanSweep\QDCSFS.exe /startup

If that does not clear up the NAV problem the remove the two registry ones from msconfig.

Norton Registry Tracker Startup Group "C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton Utilities\REGTRK.EXE" startup

At this point you should only have NAV running in background.
Dave

afb1957

The only programs running at startup now are weather, LoadProfile, EM_EXEC, DLF_00000B000, Systemtray, NProtect, SchedulingAgent, ScriptBlocking. I am not showing that the cleansweep is to start at startup anymore. :rolleyes:

afb
give me another look at the current startup selection you have as you did initially. This should give me reference to where we are at.
Also are you still receiving errors? Is NAV working?
Dave

afb1957

Ok I feel really stupid now. I went to run and forgot what I typed into be able to copy what was there. I know it was not msconfig, but I will be darned if I can remember how I did it. I just am going crazy over this. And yes NAV is running in the backround.:eek:

afb1957

I received another WCS2000 caused an invalid page fault in module OLE32.DLL at 017f:7ff660a9. I got knocked offline again.... :confused:

Good Nav is running now! The command is msinfo32, click plus sign at software enviroment, then click start items. click edit up top, then select all, then copy.
Also I don't think you should of uncheck
because that is Nortons 2002 software replacement for e-mail protection and norton protect. Lets just get to see what you have running now!
Dave

afb1957

Ok here it is and I am sorry that I had a brain fart on this.

LoadPowerProfile Registry (Machine Run) Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
NPROTECT Registry (Machine Run) c:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton Utilities\nprotect.exe
ScriptBlocking Registry (Machine Service) "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Script Blocking\SBServ.exe" -reg

afb1957

Ok here is the print out of what is running again for some reson the last one I wrote is not showing up here.

:confused:

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online