1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Norton SystemWorks errors and illegal ops

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by afb1957, Jan 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. afb1957

afb1957 Thread Starter

I have recently Downloaded the Norton SystemWorks 2002 for my windows 98 program. Since loading this program I have been getting illegal operations in NMAIN, NAV32 and one in RNAAPP that shutdown the virus scan I was running online. I have got this blue fatal exception OD has occurred at 0028:c024244E in VXD VMM (oF)+0000044E. I can not perform virus scan online or off of this program.
    I have enclosed what is running on startup below.

CleanSweep Smart Sweep-Internet Sweep Startup Group "C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton CleanSweep\csinsm32.exe"
    Norton Disk Doctor Startup Group "C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton Utilities\NDD32.EXE" /q
    Norton System Doctor Startup Group "C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton Utilities\SYSDOC32.EXE" /startup
    Norton Registry Tracker Startup Group "C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton Utilities\REGTRK.EXE" startup
    Weather Registry (Per-User Run) C:\PROGRAM FILES\AWS\WEATHERBUG\WEATHER.EXE 1
    LoadPowerProfile Registry (Machine Run) Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
    EM_EXEC Registry (Machine Run) c:\mouse\system\em_exec.exe
    DLF_00000B00 Registry (Machine Run) C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\Vcdlf.exe /c
    SystemTray Registry (Machine Run) SysTray.Exe
    NAV Agent Registry (Machine Run) c:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\NORTON~1\NAVAPW32.EXE
    NPROTECT Registry (Machine Run) c:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton Utilities\nprotect.exe
    QD FastAndSafe Registry (Machine Run) c:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton CleanSweep\QDCSFS.exe /startup
    SchedulingAgent Registry (Machine Service) mstask.exe
    ScriptBlocking Registry (Machine Service) "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Script Blocking\SBServ.exe" -reg
    CSINJECT.EXE Registry (Machine Service) c:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton CleanSweep\CSINJECT.EXE
    NPROTECT Registry (Machine Service) c:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton Utilities\nprotect.exe
    SymTray - Norton SystemWorks Registry (Machine Service) c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SymTray.exe "Norton SystemWorks"

I need to know what I should do to get this program working properly. Do I need to uninstall and reinstall it or what. Also why is it that I can not scan for virus at their site online?:mad:

2. Davey7549

Davey7549

afb1957
    Welcome to TSG!
    I would suggest removing these items from startup since they may be conflicting at startup. The major error you are receiving is from windows virtual memory manager (VMM) and is probably due to all the activity you are trying to do at startup. The NAV Scanner engine take awhile to start and will error in conflict. If you wish to run them always at startup then create shortcuts in you C:\windows\programs\startup folder.

Clean Sweep need not run every startup unless you are really crunched for space on the hard drive.
    CleanSweep Smart Sweep-Internet Sweep Startup Group "C:\Program Files\Norton
    SystemWorks\Norton CleanSweep\csinsm32.exe"

Running disc doctor at startup is like running scandisk! Totally unnecessary every startup
    Norton Disk Doctor Startup Group "C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton Utilities\NDD32.EXE" /q

It is not necessary to test and recheck every piece of hardware since windows did most of that already
    Norton System Doctor Startup Group "C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton Utilities\SYSDOC32.EXE" /startup

Same as clean sweep above
    SystemWorks\Norton CleanSweep\QDCSFS.exe /startup

Note also running a registry checker and repair at startup using Norton is also redundant because Windows already does that.

All these programs you should remove can be run from the utilities
    section of Norton. I periodically run them, sometimes once per week.

3. afb1957

afb1957 Thread Starter

Davey

When I went into msconfig. to stop these programs from running at start up I received an illegal operation in NAVAPW32 caused a general protection fault in module USER>EXE at 0003:00008fb3. Why did this occur after making changes? I have did not restart my computer after changes were made is this what caused that error?

Attached Files:

4. Davey7549

Davey7549

afb1957
    Did you just disable the items I suggested or did you disable more?
    Dave

5. afb1957

afb1957 Thread Starter

I just disabled what you told me to. And thanks for the welcome here.
    By the way I have also been to the norton site about this product and there seems to be an awful lot of people there who are also having problems similar to me.
    Could you tell me why I received that illegal when I was scanning for virus online at norton? That was when I received it on the RNAAPP.:confused:

6. Davey7549

Davey7549

afb
    Quarterdeck cleansweep was purchased by or is Symantec which is Norton, so with that in mind here is a website from microsoft. You will notice the error with quarterdeck.
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q182589
    That is why I am trying to get cleansweep from running in background.
    Dave

7. Davey7549

Davey7549

afb
    Lets try this also. I missed one of the cleansweep first pass, so uncheck in msconfig.

Missed this cleansweep one!
    CSINJECT.EXE Registry (Machine Service) c:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton CleanSweep\CSINJECT.EXE

and

QD FastAndSafe Registry (Machine Run) c:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton CleanSweep\QDCSFS.exe /startup

If that does not clear up the NAV problem the remove the two registry ones from msconfig.

Norton Registry Tracker Startup Group "C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton Utilities\REGTRK.EXE" startup

At this point you should only have NAV running in background.
    Dave

8. afb1957

afb1957 Thread Starter

The only programs running at startup now are weather, LoadProfile, EM_EXEC, DLF_00000B000, Systemtray, NProtect, SchedulingAgent, ScriptBlocking. I am not showing that the cleansweep is to start at startup anymore. :rolleyes:

9. Davey7549

Davey7549

afb
    give me another look at the current startup selection you have as you did initially. This should give me reference to where we are at.
    Also are you still receiving errors? Is NAV working?
    Dave

10. afb1957

afb1957 Thread Starter

Ok I feel really stupid now. I went to run and forgot what I typed into be able to copy what was there. I know it was not msconfig, but I will be darned if I can remember how I did it. I just am going crazy over this. And yes NAV is running in the backround.:eek:

11. afb1957

afb1957 Thread Starter

I received another WCS2000 caused an invalid page fault in module OLE32.DLL at 017f:7ff660a9. I got knocked offline again.... :confused:

12. Davey7549

Davey7549

Good Nav is running now! The command is msinfo32, click plus sign at software enviroment, then click start items. click edit up top, then select all, then copy.
    Also I don't think you should of uncheck
    because that is Nortons 2002 software replacement for e-mail protection and norton protect. Lets just get to see what you have running now!
    Dave

13. afb1957

afb1957 Thread Starter

Ok here it is and I am sorry that I had a brain fart on this.

LoadPowerProfile Registry (Machine Run) Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
    NPROTECT Registry (Machine Run) c:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton Utilities\nprotect.exe
    ScriptBlocking Registry (Machine Service) "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Script Blocking\SBServ.exe" -reg

14. Davey7549

Davey7549

Give me a minute while I print and compare before and current.
    Dave

15. afb1957

afb1957 Thread Starter

Ok here is the print out of what is running again for some reson the last one I wrote is not showing up here.

:confused:

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/65039

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice