Norton Uninstallation

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Bright Eyes

I'm desperately trying to uninstall Norton Internet Security 2005, but it just won't budge! I've used Symantec's removal tool, but it still remains on my control panel, and when I try to Change/Remove it, I get the message;

The installation is missing the file instopts.dat. Setup will now exit.

Any idea how to remove it?

flavallee

Trusted Advisor
First Name
Frank
Bright Eyes:

Symantec Norton can be a REAL pain to clean out of a computer and requires several manual steps.

Before we get started, go here and download and install ToniArts EasyCleaner 2.0.6.380.

Get back with me after you've installed it. Don't open and run it yet!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

redoak

Gone but never forgotten
Bright Eyes said:
I'm desperately trying to uninstall Norton Internet Security 2005, but it just won't budge! I've used Symantec's removal tool, but it still remains on my control panel, and when I try to Change/Remove it, I get the message;

The installation is missing the file instopts.dat. Setup will now exit.

Any idea how to remove it?
Sorry to hear of another person caught in the S-N removal problem, which I once had, too.
For all out there, DO NOT use the Ws' generic removal method! Use the S-N procedure, which is, infortunately, difficult to find on their website. It was outlined in my instruction manual, but I was negligent in not reading the booklet.
{redoak}

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online