Norton vs. McAfee - Which do you prefer??

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Lyte

Good day to all!

I'm at the point where I need to either renew my McAfee or purchase Norton. I'm really torn about which is better! I've gotten some feedback but it appears opinons (not much presentation of fact) are pretty split down the middle.

So, I'm hoping for some tangible (fact based) opinions on which is better... and of course why.

Many thanks in advance!

Lyte

Squashman

Retired Trusted Advisor
Are we talking about just their AntiVirus products or their whole Internet Security suites which include a firewall. I actually prefer to use neither because there are so many good free alternatives out there.

Lyte

Hey Squash,

Thanks for the quick reply!

I was thinking just in the virus protection area but if there's a product that covers viruses, AND spam, spyware, adware... yadda yadda... better than Nortan or McAffe, I'd like to know! :)

Thanks!

Ltye

i have used both mcafee and noton over the years and now have used avg free for 18 months. i have had no problems with it. avg does not use the resources that the $$ do. i also use the free spyware programs ,spyware blaster ,spyguard , ad-aware and spy-bot. you can get them all at majorgeeks.com.

Squashman

Retired Trusted Advisor
As golferbob has said. There are free applications out there to help with this. AVG and AVAST are probably the two most popular free choices for AntiVirus. I have been using AVG for many years as well.

mtzlplex

Account Closed
Neither, norton or mcafee. As suggested AVG, or Avast, I have used both, both are excellent Anti-Virus.

Regards
IMP49

As you are prepared to pay for your AV protection, you should take a look at Kapersky or NOD32. Both are very highly regarded and probably the best there is.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Neither. :) I use AVG and Avast! for AV, AD-Aware, SpywareBlaster and Microsoft AntiSpyware for spyware protection, and the Windows firewall on the road, and just my router here. Total outlay per yer is $0.

If I had to choose between McAfee or Norton I'd go with McAfee, I've used them both and that one I preferred. But as others have said why pay for it when there are excellent free alternatives like AVG and Avast.

Triple6

Rob
Retired Moderator
Honestly I love Norton's Antivirus. Its a dominate part of my job. Well, fixing the numerous problems it causes that is. Would never use it myself though :)

Spyware protection is nearly a joke between Symatec and McAfee. Totally useless. Norton tells you it found but can't fix it. Whats the point?

The whole McAfee package is priced way too high to even be a consideration and not much better.

The programs Johnwill recommended are the ones I use and recommend. Spybot: Search and Destroy is the only one I'd add to the list.

Lyte

Well gosh... it seems the AVGs have it! (y) I'll check it out when I get home!

Do y'all think I should keep the McAfee on my computer or uninstall it and then install AVG??

Thanks!

Lyte

Triple6

Rob
Retired Moderator
You really should only ever use one antivirus program at a time. Having more then one will conflict and slow down the computer unnecessarily.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Besides, the whole point was to get rid of the bloated do everything, but nothing well packages, right? :D

Lyte

JohnWill said:
Besides, the whole point was to get rid of the bloated do everything, but nothing well packages, right? :D
Amen! (y)

It first light it sounds great to get something that's a 3 in 1.... 4 in 1... etc...etc... but I think a lot of software makers try and be ALL things to ALL users but rarely does that work out as planned! (n)

Lyte

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online