1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Norton wont Liveupdate

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by silvershield, Feb 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. silvershield

silvershield Thread Starter

Hi, On my mom's computer, Norton Internet Security 2007 is installed. The PC that the problem is on is a Compaq Presario SR2020NX (512MB Ram, 140GB HDD, 2.8GHZ AMD Athlon 64). Problem: Norton wont Liveupdate. Period. (Actually a couple of days ago, it wouldn't start altogether, and for some reason now, it only wont liveupdate. There's like 20+ "LUCOMS~1.EXE"s , which Im assuming, is Norton.

Any suggestions?

PS: lol, I think Norton itself is the problem!!

2. FRACTO

FRACTO

try going to symantecs site .look for the problem there in the faq's

3. TOGG

TOGG

Are you saying that one version of NIS has been installed on two computers? Has it ever worked properly on the Compaq? Unless you bought two licences, the second installation may not have been authenticated properly.

If that isn't the problem, you could try downloading and installing a fresh copy of the Live Update files from here; http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/files/lu/lu.html (I assume you will want the January 07 version unless you are using 98 or ME). Check the Readme notes first and, if you can, create a Restore Point.

4. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    Togg .. FYI .. The New 2007 NIS comes with three user licenses.
    One Serial .. but can be installed in three computers.

Every time I had trouble with NIS 2006 .. I usually removed it and reinstalled it.
    This was a normal happening for me... and I usually had to Call Norton to get it reauthorized.

Not sure what kind of trouble this will cause with removing and re-installing NIS 2007.
    Someone gave me a copy of NIS 2007 ... cause they didn't like it.
    I tried NIS 2007 .. and didn't like it either.

This was all the push I needed to switch to AVG and Zone Alarm.

5. TOGG

TOGG

Uninstall/reinstall seemed to be the standard method of fixing most problems when I had NAV 2003, and I had to do it once when I got a corrupted definitions update from them! Luckily, it was a straightforward Add/Remove job with no product authentification issues or other problems.

I also replaced the LU files once without difficulty, but that may be different with the newer 'suites'. I switched to NOD32 two and a half years ago and now use ZA Pro.

6. silvershield

silvershield Thread Starter

Yes, it was worked before on that PC, also, I cant install anything from the CD drive on there either....

7. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    I've read .. There's a way to contact Norton and get your money back.
    Maybe they also can send a CD.

When you've had enough of Norton .. and decide to install it in the local land fill ..
    There's still room for new members in the "I Hate Norton" fan club here at TSG.

No AV of Firewall software is perfect ... I know by experience with Norton.
    The best Anti-Virus protection ... Is to be able to recover (fix) your HD the way you like it ..
    Not the way HP/Compaq/OEM sent it to you.

The software to do this cost less than Norton and you can use it on Any Computer.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...image+10&Submit=ENE&N=0&Ntk=all&Go.x=0&Go.y=0
    The free trial is fully functional for 14 days...
    http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/

A USB external HD will be helpful to use this "recovery" method.

If you'd backed up the Computer while the computer was working ...
    the fix would be only about 15>20 minutes away with the computer doing ALL the work.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!