1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Norton

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by bpinkard, Feb 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bpinkard

bpinkard Thread Starter

Hello All... I need to ask a question. I am running McAfee now,but cannot update it for some reason, But anyway...I am gonna get Norton and install it. Question is...If I happen to have a virus now,and install Norton, will Norton take care of the virus if it is already there? :confused: Thanks B.Pinkard

2. $teve

$teve

yes it should find it on 1st run.
    you could go here:http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
    and run the online scanner before you install norton.

2 things to do 1st though before installing nav......make sure mcafee is uninstalled and after installing norton download all the updates.
    set norton to auto update.

ps.........if you want a great free a/v......www.grisoft.com avg antivirus.

3. steamwiz

steamwiz

4. steamwiz

steamwiz

You beat me this time $teve :D

5. bpinkard

bpinkard Thread Starter

Quote:
    2 things to do 1st though before installing nav......make sure mcafee is uninstalled and after installing norton download all the updates.
    set norton to auto update.

I am doing all this for my mom....well in the meantime.Before we got your post...she was going through the site and found the free AVG antivirus and downloaded it without uninstalling McAfee.
    Now the comp. is acting really weird and keeps locking up. Any suggestions on what I can do to correct this matter?
    Thanks, B.Pinkard

P.S. Steam,I go from one problem to the next.

6. steamwiz

steamwiz

I would start by uninstalling AVG - see if that returns your computer back to normal

Then you can uninstall McAfee and reinstall AVG

steam

7. $teve

$teve

touche steam............;)
    tag team time:D

8. ChfTx

ChfTx

I'm trying to load Norton but it won't load..I've swapped hard drives on 2 computers...the first one won't find my modem and the second one won't boot...I swapped them back and I get a Virus notice during boot...Chipaway is the program...I've been through about 12 floppies so far and still get the same message? I can bypass and boot, but with the virus...this is the one that I can't install Norton on

9. bpinkard

bpinkard Thread Starter

Hey Steam and $teve ,My problem is solved,Thanks to you two.
    I need to ask one more ?
    When I reinstalled AVG and ran a system scan,as it was scanning I noticed a large amount of temp. files and cookies. The problem is....before I reinstalled AVG...I called myself doing a major cleanup and got rid of all tmp. files and cookies. I thought.
    Any ideas on getting rid of all of them.
    Thanks a milion,you guys are so much help

P.S. I lied....I have one more question...Is this an all volunteer site or do some of you guys get paid for this? Just curious.

10. $teve

$teve

windows disk cleanup will keep your temp files and recycle bin from getting too cluttered...start/programs/accessories/system tools.

and most of us are millionaires because of this site...........:D :p

we wish...............were are all unpaid volunteers.
    call it freeware;)

take care

11. Rockn

Rockn

Hey ChfTX.....don't jump into the middle of someone elses thead with your problem. Please start your own thread, you'll get a better response that wat.

12. ChfTx

ChfTx

please excuse me rockn..I just found this site and am getting used to the etiquette...will take your advice

13. steamwiz

steamwiz

HI ChfTx

Rockn didn't mean to be blunt with you and it's not really etiquette

If two questions are being answered in the same thread then things can get awfully confusing for everyone including you

Also not many people will look at a thread which is already being dealt with, so your question might not be noticed

Starting a new thread will give you a better chance of resolving your problem

steam

14. $teve

$teve

in fact some of us get so confused we didnt even notice your post ChfTx........:D
    welcome to T.S.G.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/117731

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice