1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Norton's A/V 2005 ~ Upgrade or Renew?

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by sunnidaze2k, Feb 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sunnidaze2k

sunnidaze2k Thread Starter

Presently I have Norton Antivirus 2002 installed on my home computer and have since then renewed the subscription in order for the virus definitions on live update to be continued.

Is it time to repurchase a complete version of Norton Antivirus 2005 to obtain new features or does just renewing for the virus definitions suffice? Opinions please.

(I had a flash pop up from Symantec but it disappeared too fast..listing 3 options....there were an awful lot of red checkmarks under new features I believe...and I haven't been able to locate that comparison on the Symantec site ... grrr....)

2. smeegle

smeegle

I have the 2004 version and I have no intention to upgrade. Besides, it automatically updates virus information whenever you go on the web.

3. bitchin

bitchin Banned

Your norton will work fine...illegal content removed by Cookiegal

4. jaye944

jaye944

sunnidaze,

ok, this is my take.

I have 2002, and I will be purchasing a copy of 2005 for the following

1> the new facilities
    2> as has been suggested is prolly a bit naughty, and I'd expect TSG not to be party to obtaining software by fowl means.
    3> subscribing to Nortons is pretty much like shareware/freeware, you've used it for a year, so pay for the next year, if you dont I suppose your own moraility should suggest that not paying for a product you are using is "well not legal"

ok 2005, is VERY memory hungry, you may find you need to upgrade to at least 256k

as an aside, an a test, completly removing 2002 from your system does work, but you dont get all the benefits only the updates

HTH

J

5. Lulu5

Lulu5

Hi Sunnidaze:

My NAV ran out and so purchased the NAV 2005. Next year I'll be able to prove ownership for the full (2) rebates and get NAV 2006 practically for free. I hope!

Decided to just purchase rather than extend the previous NAV (think it was the 2004 or the 2003) because the support for that will eventually run out before the 2005 (thus a longer life span). Also, was able to find lots of support for the 2005 installation for download or CD on the symantec site with complete instructions for both options.

It can be frustrating navigating to the support you need at symantec - try to get to the "support" option on the (L) side > access free online support > then at the top "was" an advertisment for free installation tips for NAV 2005 - hope it's still there.

I printed all the support pages. At the bottom of my copies is this:
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/sharedtech.nsf/pfdocs/2004090914191713?Open (I just tried it and it's there - "What to do before installing your 2005 Symantec product".)

and this...

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/pfdocs/2004072315390106?Open (I just tried it and it's there - "Installing Norton Anti-Virus 2005 from CD".)

and this...

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/pfdocs?2004090108542206?Open (I just tried it and it's there - "Installing Norton Anitvirus 2005 that was downloaded from the Symantec Store".)

and this...

http://renewalcenter.symantec.com/storefront/catalog/compare.jsp?_requestid=2480940 (Just tried it and the comparison is NOT ALL THERE - just the heading.) Maybe they are revising it.

Also, when I purchased the NAV2005/NIS 2005 (combined) at Best Buys, found that the included NAV booklet was all I need to install.

Just did all the symstem checks the instructions advised before putting in the CD. The CD installation was extremely easy to use and it automatically deleted the older version of NAV for me. Which I was worried about, cause I read otherwise.

BTW, love the NAV 2005. Only my alerts flash too fast also. There must be an option to set the display time for those - if there is, i'll find it or call symantec when I have a chance and let you know.

Hope this helps....good luck.

6. Lulu5

Lulu5

Don't know why the full addresses to symantec didn't show and are showing distorted. It showed correctly in the "preview post"!!

I'll try again. http:// (no www)

1) service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/shardtech.nsf/pfdocs/2004090914191713?Open

2)
    service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/pfdocs/2004072315390106?Open

3)
    service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsg/pfdocs/2004090108542206?Open

4)
    renewalcenter.symantec.com/storefront/catalog/compare.jsp?_requestid=2480940

Hope you get this - if not, do you know where the complaint box is?

7. bitchin

bitchin Banned

Lulu5: Support will never run our for any of the Norton Anti Virus's...as long as your subscription is up to date you have nothing to worry about.

You said it yourself, it's illegal. Please read the forum rules before posting anything like this again.

But that causes problems and is a hassle

8. puterpat

puterpat

I updated from NSW2003 to NSW2005--figured it was time to get some of the new features; had an awful time; didnot install correctly. Followed symantec directions to the letter backing off NSW2003 and NSW2005; reinstalled had the same issues; had a copy of NSW2004 that I hadn't used yet--so installed that I'm still having AV problems.
    I think the AV is working okay....but it won't update correctly.
    (Never had the issues with NSW2003)
    ...I'm rethinking keeping Norton around

9. somefellow

somefellow

Norton is the spawn child of the anti-virus error world . Most free anti-virus are as good as or better than norton , so why buy. If systemworks is your need , there are many free utilities that perform better .

I`d participate in a test of the most popular anti-virus and see who comes out on top ............

10. bitchin

bitchin Banned

Is it possible that you missed some components of previous version of norton? It can be fussy to uninstall... It is nice to have the new features, I purchased Norton Internet Security a couple months back.

11. sunnidaze2k

sunnidaze2k Thread Starter

ok...to clarify...in 2002 I purchased Norton Antivirus 2002 & installed it...rather than buying a new copy every year, I have been paying for another years subscription for live update from Symantec which is substantially cheaper than buying a whole new program every year. In the reading Ive done...its confused me as to whether its worth buying the newest 2005 version...wondering if the program has changed that much from 2002 to make it worth it or should i just pay for another years subscription.

12. puterpat

puterpat

I spent about 4+ hours twice; following symantecs direction for deleting NSW
    including registry stuff--unless there is something on my hard drive they haven't told me to delete. I'm still using ME-so I finally e-mailed symantec saying "are u sure there are no conflicts with ME" of course, they insist no....

At this point, I'm avoiding thedelete and reinstall one more time recommendation from Symantec...at least until I feel more comfortable that doing it will actually work this time; this is the file Live Update doesn't like anymore :mad:

The files below could not be updated by LiveUpdate:
    -----------------------------------
    File: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SAVRTGUI.DL^
    39296 Bytes 7/23/2004 19:46:02 v9.4.0.53.

I've searched all over for info on this file.

13. bitchin

bitchin Banned

sunnidaze...the previous and newer versions use the same virus definition file and both will get the job done just fine. Norton Internet Security has the intrusion blocker, and the firewall and protects against spreading threats. I'm on high speed internet right now and I probably get 30-40 attempts to access my computer each day.

Also Norton 2005 blocks the trojans and all the bad stuff like that.

14. TOGG

TOGG

Hello again!

If you do a search here on 'NAV 2005' you will find a lot of people having problems with it (and 2004) and with the 'suites' like NIS and NSW. This does not necessarily mean they are 'bad' programs, but they definitely are big and complicated and, once they get a problem, it can be a pig to rectify.

My pet theory, based on no evidence at all (always the easiest type of theory to come up with!) is that it has something to do with product activation, which Symantec started to use from 2004 onward.

I used to have NAV 2003 on this old Win '98 comp and wasn't particularly worried when support was withdrawn last Autumn. However, when I attempted to renew my subscription in October, I got into an endless loop on the Symantec site.

So great was my frustration, that I went looking for an alternative. Despite the great faith placed in the free programs, Avast and AVG, I decided I should be willing to pay for such important software and eventually chose NOD32. In UK prices it cost a bit less than my Symantec renewal would have, uses less resources and updates most days. I know Symantec do daily updates in emergencies but, in normal circumstances, I got my weekly Live Update and, if I wanted anything more frequent, I had to use the Intelligent Updater and d/l 5+MB over a slow dialup connection.

On some of the sites where they run comparisons, NOD32 and Kapersky regularly come out on top (but all such comparisons are open to a great deal of 'interpretation).

15. Lulu5

Lulu5

Thanks bitchin, Good to know!!

However, I vaguely remember reading "something" on symantec site about a support for an older version would no longer be avail. after a certain date. It was a much older version, can't remember which.

Since my original 2004 NAV was preinstalled, I wanted the CD myself and didn't want to download. Didn't want to renew even though it was $10.00 cheaper because I for one really like Norton Anti-Virus and Norton Internet Security and so wanted the "new" protection that they had to offer. There where approx. 7 additional security features to the 2005, if symantecs "comparison" page ever gets put back up, then you can see all the additions or just locate elsewhere.

The install problems that I'm reading just didn't happen for me at all. Installing NAV/NIS 2005 just couldn't have been easier. Really. Just popped in the CD and let it do it's thing - I might have had a few "ok's" to click, but that's it. When it was done doing it's thing, I "registered" it per installation instruct; That is "registering product key" found attached to the CD with-in 15 days, along with name, address etc. (Basic demographics - nothing intrusive.)

Also, when my pre-installed NAV/NIS ran it's 3 months free trial course, I either had to renew to keep getting the Live Updates or upgrade. I was still able to scan and get "some" live updates but not all. At that time, I still didn't want to just renew and wanted to wait to hear more about NAV
    2005 before purchasing. I googled everything I possibly could regarding any NAV complaints etc and spent hours on the symantec site and also got plenty of info off this site regarding the pro's and con's.

Between NAV2004 and NAV2005 - I was using AVG, Spybot S&D, AD-Aware, spyblaster, CW Shredder and the NAV2004 w/o ALL the updates. And all, except NAV and CW Shredder annoyed me tremendously. CW Shredder was a quickie and that was nice, NAV was a constant reassuring presence. All the others were bogging me down with all the manual updates and scans and problems (probably not running right cause maybe NAV was interfering - I just don't know).

Anyhow, NAV 2005 is doing great and computer is even running faster since I uninstalled all that other stuff. But........I do want to download another Free Anti-Virus and keep it off and only turn it on to update and see if it catches anything NAV might miss.

Again, hope my info helps.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/331659

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice