1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

NORTON's Product Support IS Horrible! Please HELP!

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by derekminner, Jan 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. derekminner

derekminner Guest Thread Starter

The following is my problem...and this is copied from Norton's site...Only problem is that my comp. came up virus free, the Registry value they want me to delete does not exist, and when I select Norton Antivirus in the Add/Remove Programs window & click remove (or change for that matter) nothing happens!!! I don't know what to do! PLEASE HELP IF YOU KNOW WHAT I SHOULD TRY!

Pasted from After clicking Install Norton Antivirus

After clicking Install Norton AntiVirus, a cursor appears briefly, and Norton AntiVirus 2005 stops responding

Situation:
    After inserting your Norton AntiVirus 2005 CD, you see the first installation screen. When you click Install Norton AntiVirus, the installation does not run. An hourglass cursor appears briefly, but no other window appears.

Solution:
    Before you begin: The information in this document applies to a problem that happens when installing Norton AntiVirus from the installation CD. If you downloaded Norton AntiVirus and are having a similar problem installing the program, read Norton AntiVirus 2005 installation stops responding after extracting downloaded files.
    Because this situation has a variety of causes, no one solution will work in every case. Begin with "Solution 1: Make sure that your computer is virus free." You will be directed as to what to do next.

Solution 1: Make sure that your computer is virus free
    If your computer is infected, you may have this problem. To quickly rule out common infections, connect to the Internet. Then go to the Automated Support Assistant. (This scan takes about a minute on a dial-up connection and a few seconds on a fast connection.) If an infection is found, you will be sent to a tool that removes it. If an infection is not found, do a complete scan. To start the scan, click the link that goes to the Symantec Security Check Web site. Under Virus Detection, click Start. (A Symantec Security Check Web scan can take some time.)

Follow the steps for your situation:

* If a scan finds an infection, then in the Scan Results window, click the name of the infection.
    You will be taken to a page with some steps to follow. Follow the steps. If you still have the problem after the infection is removed, return to this page and continue to follow the instructions.
    * If you have Windows 98 or Me and a scan does not find an infection, go on to "Solution 2: Extract a copy of Riched32.dll and reinstall Norton AntiVirus (Windows 98/Me only)." If that does not fix the problem, then continue with the last solution.
    * If you have Windows 2000 or XP and a scan does not find an infection, skip to "Solution 3: Rename and remove leftover installation entries and reinstall Norton AntiVirus."

Solution 2: Extract a copy of Riched32.dll and reinstall Norton AntiVirus (Windows 98/Me only)
    In some cases, this problem can be fixed by extracting a copy of the Windows file Riched32.dll. In Windows 98, you will need to extract this file from the installation CD for your operating system. Go to the section for your version of Windows.

Click an icon to either expand ( ) or collapse ( ) the section. (If you cannot expand a section, then read the document Cannot expand sections in a Symantec Knowledge Base document.)

To extract a copy of Riched32.dll on Windows 98

To extract a copy of Riched32.dll on Windows Me

Solution 3: Rename and remove leftover installation entries and reinstall Norton AntiVirus
    Follow the steps in this section to rename and remove certain leftover Symantec registry keys.

WARNING: We strongly recommend that you back up the registry before you make any changes to it. Incorrect changes to the registry can result in permanent data loss or corrupted files. Modify only the registry keys that are specified. See How to back up the Windows registry for instructions.

To edit the registry

1. Exit all programs.
    2. On the Windows taskbar, click Start > Run.
    3. In the Run dialog box, type the following:

regedit
    4. Click OK.
    5. Navigate to the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Symantec
    6. In the left pane, right-click Symantec, and click Rename.
    7. Type the following, and then press Enter to save the change:

Symantecold
    8. Navigate to the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\SymSetup.<random text>

Where <random text> is a series of numbers and letters. For example, you may see an entry like the following:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\SymSetup.{C6B28661-7910-442E-ADDD-72EAA8395380}
    9. Press Delete.
    10. Click Yes to confirm the deletion.
    11. Exit the Registry Editor.
    12. Reinstall Norton AntiVirus.
    Read the document Reinstalling your Symantec program after a failed installation or after you see error messages for detailed instructions.

2. derekminner

derekminner Guest Thread Starter

I have faith in you Tech Support Guys...don't fail me now! :-D

3. smash

smash Banned

norton is crap get avg every comp i work on with norton is very problematic avg free is better 4 years and still free of viruses:)

4. TOGG

TOGG

Were you referred to this KB article?;http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPOR...sf&view=docid&dtype=&prod=&ver=&osv=&osv_lvl=

If some part of your first install attempt actually worked, subsequent attempts will be aborted because Symantec products seem to be so sensitive to earlier installs. If the relevant Registry keys are missing, and NAV doesn't appear in Add/Remove, that may not be your problem.

Did you have an earlier version of NAV before 2005?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!