1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

not 1, but 2 internet connection problems

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by takatomon, Sep 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. takatomon

takatomon Thread Starter

my first problem is that my internet connection wizard keeps putting the phone number for a previous ISP in front of the new phone number for every new account i try to create. whenever i want to connect to the internet... i have to manually delete the first number to get the second one (which does get remembered) to dial. someone mentioned deleting the 1st number with regedit, but when i opened that program (1st time ever) i could not see any phone numbers in the internet section to delete.

if i can't get rid of that number with internet connection wizard... i need to get a new dialer download as a workaround. i tried one freeware dialer AND my ISP's own dialer to try and connect, but couldn't get either dialer to work. my current one does... but it's a pain and a half to delete the old number every time i connect. it can't be deleted using connection properties and i saw no place in my control panel where i could get rid of it.

my other issue is that i still keep getting disconnected every couple of hours despite switching ISPs to access-4-free which was supposed to be problem free according to recommendations here. is it possible that there's some hidden "disconnect after X time" setting somewhere in my PC that i don't know about that's causing this?

any help in resolving either of these issues is greatly appreciated.

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    regarding point 2
    I have heard of a number of ISP who disconnect after a certain if there is no activity -i remember quite a number of issues in UK as they where advertised as always on - and where NOT. Have you asked the ISP if they do this.

3. takatomon

takatomon Thread Starter

yes. access-4-free doesn't do that. i think that the problem might be caused by the software left by my second from last ISP. they disconnected me every 10 minutes. when i tried netzero, i got disconnected every 3-4 hours and now i'm still getting disconnects with access-4-free.

i've heard of "auto disconnect" software and i think that is what's causing the problem. other techguy members told me that they, or their friends, have no disconnect problems and access-4-free themselves said they don't disconnect users.

i think it all comes down to some software for the ISP before netzero that i can't find. i've uninstalled and/or deleted everything from them that i could find. they did have one remaining piece of software that refused to be deleted, but i shredded it with absolute shield.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/272384

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice