1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Not a computer problem but ......

Discussion in 'Tech Tips and Reviews' started by stevedann, Jan 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. stevedann

stevedann Thread Starter

Does anybody know why it is that lots of electronic toys and other devices forbid the use of rechargeable NiCad batteries? I understand that they only put out 1.2 V rather than the 1.5V from a non-rechargeable and that rechargeables may be damaged by being discharged below 1.0V but some instruction books suggest that damage may be caused to the device if they're used.

2. esdxc37

esdxc37

try posting in battery forum not a computer forum???

3. brianF

brianF

Good question, I made rechargeable nicad batteries for 13 years.
    After all that time, not sure.

My first guess would be the current draw on devices is too much for a Nicad. Along with the lower operating voltage causing problems with voltage regulating circuits for devices.

Next would be that you can actually drive a nicad into reverse polarity, making positive negative and vice versa.

Third is that nicad have a caustic soloution internally and if worked too hard or a short occurs the battery will vent the soloution. Pretty hard on any metal it comes in contact with.

4. deuce

deuce

I always wondered what kind of engineer you were... :D What company did you work for/and which one do you work for now... if you don't mind me asking. (I'm assuming you made those for work and not for fun in your basement... ;) :D :rolleyes: )

5. gethedge

gethedge

I think nicad dry cells are not as stable as non-rechargable, therefor bad for electronics.

I could be wrong

6. rds33

rds33

Nickel Metal-Hydride (Ni-MH) batteries work quite well in my Olympus digital camera. They can be recharged about 500 times and provide the high-drain power needed.

Best of all, they don't have to be discharged before recharging. Their drawback is that their shelf life is poor. They lose about 3% of their power per day. I simply charge up a new set of four batteries at the beginning of each month. So far they've always lasted the entire month - typically 60 pictures.

I use this brand: (Not affiliated with them in any way)

[​IMG]

-rds33

7. cwolfe98

cwolfe98

Nickel Metal-Hydride batteries work quite well, however, Lithium Ion batts and/or Lithium Polymer batts work much better. (newer technology.)

Most cellphone manufactures are now using L-Ion and L-Poly batts nowadays.
    My cellphone batt is LIon and it usually lasts about 10 - 12 days in standby or 5 - 6 hours talk time.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/65982

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice