1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Not a peep out of my XP Pro SP2 - HELP

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by Val123456, Apr 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Val123456

Val123456 Thread Starter

I have no sound whatsoever on my laptop computer.

I have checked everything I can think of, device manager reports all's well. All my volume controls are on. New sound drivers installed. The only diagnostic tool that shows a problem is the sound checks via directx which I'm not sure is relevant. Under Tab sound 1 it tests and when I don't hear anything it says 'Failure at step 19 (user verification of software) HRESULT = 0x00000000 (error code) The same response is recorded when I test with tab Sound 2. I cannot find any useful response to this error number!

One interesting point (perhaps) is that the sound stopped some 6 weeks ago. Since then I had a complete computer crash, lost everything and had no choice but to reinstall windows. I thought at least this would restore the sound system, but it didn't!

Because the crash involved so much hassle, I'm wondering if I should partition my computer put all my newly established stuff in that and then reinstall XP

2. Megabite

Megabite

Do you get any sound if using headphones plugged in??

What make is the laptop and have you gone to the manufactures site for the drivers for that PC

3. Val123456

Val123456 Thread Starter

No, my headphones don't work either.

My computer is 'Infinity' System Model 1ABHI016
    Bios; American Megatrends Inc. Version 1.08
    Intel (R) Pentium (R) 4CPU 2.66GHz

Strangely when I boot up the screen opens with an 'Airis' logo? No mention of Infinity or American Megatrends........
    One further oddity, I noticed this morning - in DirectX the Music sound test. I am informed that I should hear some music playing. Click OK to continue.....When I do the test finishes and the Note in the bottom box relays that all tests were successful ? Am I missing a file or something in DirectX ?

4. Val123456

Val123456 Thread Starter

Yes I went to American Megatrends for info and found that Intel drivers were OK. I downloaded the appropriate drivers but when things didn't improve I took my laptop back to where I bought it from and persuaded the tech chap there to run his Intel installer disc on my computer. He did this and the volume control reappeared in the bottom tray but still no sound. He reckoned I needed a new mother board?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!