1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Not a straightforward one -DVD RW Drive will recognise DVDs but won't recognise CDs

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by bcooper89, Sep 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bcooper89

bcooper89 Thread Starter

I've got a 4yr-old Toshiba Satellite laptop (Model: A210-12U) which I recently restored using the recovery CD - it's running Vista SP2. Please bear with me as this may be a long-ish story, but it helps to explain my problem.

Around a year ago, a virus made its way onto my laptop and almost destroyed the OS - I'd consider myself to be fairly knowledgeable software-wise having studied IT at college, and so set about the long process of trying to fix my laptop without resorting to the recovery CD. It was a patch job, but after a month or so I had it working again and it was fine for a further few months or so, before I noticed that my DVD RW Drive would no longer read and/or burn CDs. I spent hours trawling internet forums for help without any luck and was subsequently convinced that it was a hardware problem. As I needed to use a CD burner, my cousin lent me his USB DVD RW drive and this didn't work, meaning that logic suggested it wasn't a physical problem with the drive, rather that it was more likely a problem with the registry/OS. This wasn't surprising seeing as I'd done a basic patch job following the virus infection a few months earlier.

After becoming increasingly frustrated with my laptop in general, I backed up my data onto a portable HD and used the recovery CD which came with my laptop. The laptop booted the CD up when it was outside of the OS (as per the instructions that came with it) and restored the entire computer to its original state (and solving a lot of the problems that were caused by the virus in the process).

I've spent the last week re-installing programs, copying back data etc. and was in the process of installing some software from a CD today, when I noticed that the laptop was having difficulties accessing the drive. Windows Explorer knows the drive is there; it is listed in "My Computer" and will also have the little CD icon alongside the pointer when it is trying to load the CD up - suggesting it knows there is a CD in there. However, the drive itself will still read DVDs which suggests it could be a physical problem with the drive itself (I read somewhere about the laser having to change its angle accordingly when reading CDs and DVDs). I question this however, as the computer was able to read the recovery CD when I was in the process of a complete restore (and it was having the same difficulties reading CDs in Windows before the restore).

I've tried all the methods suggested in similar posts on this forum - Microsoft Fix It, Uninstalling the drivers etc. to no avail... So yes, I am pretty much stumped and am wondering if anyone can help?

The DVD RW Drive is listed in the Device Manager as HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-T20N ATA Device.

Thanks,

Ben

2. RaytheBear

RaytheBear

That is a strange situation you have there, by any chance did you look into the manufacturer site to see if there is a Firmware update for your DVD Drive?

Best of luck and I hope someone can come along and help you with this weird situation.
    Ray

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1016270

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice