1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Not A Tech Question - Just Sharing Something I Saw

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by Kikit, Sep 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kikit

Kikit Thread Starter

I wasn't sure of the appropriate place to post this. You may remove it if it's misplaced.

Something weird happened today. I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this, and if not, I wanted to tell about it.

While I trying to read up on information about what malware is, I did a search on AOL search engine.

I clicked on a couple of results and read those. When I was done, I clicked on another one of the search results, whose address was malware.com. (I'm not going to put the full address there...it might create a link).

Well, when I clicked that link, my McAfee Virus Alert popped up with a virus warning! (The site never opened!) The alert box named the virus as "Exploit-Frame" or something, and gave the normal options to clean or delete. Even though I was shocked out of my shoes, I hit the delete button. And ran away from that search page as fast as I could.

I took the time to do a full McAfee scan after that and it found nothing.

What in the world is up with that happening on a search engine page?? I've never seen anything like it before!

2. NiteHawk

NiteHawk

malware dot com is a valid site......not a good one, but a valid one.

Since your search was for malware, it is logical that it came up in the search.

As always, "viewer discretion required" :D

3. Kikit

Kikit Thread Starter

Oh, logical that when one clicks on the search link they get a virus warning? I don't doubt that it's a valid site, but the incident was quite bizarre.

I didn't even see what the site looks like, but I guarantee I won't be going back.

Watch out, folks. It's a dangerous climate out there. :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!