1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

not a valid Win32 application?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by dotty999, Feb 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dotty999

dotty999 Thread Starter

[​IMG]

every time I try to update a programme I get this message, I notice it says IE5, I'm using IE6 if that makes any difference to the error report, any help please?:)

2. Sponsor

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

This usually means a corrupted download. Try emptying the temp internet files and re-downloading.

4. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Delete the file that you downloaded and reboot the computer and then re-download it again and use internet explorer for the download.

5. dotty999

dotty999 Thread Starter

I empty temp files daily however this problem arises no matter which programme I try to update, would they all be corrupted?

6. Tufenuf

Tufenuf

Dotty, Open IE>Tools>Internet Options>General tab click the Delete Files button and when the pop up window appears checkmark "Delete all offline content", click OK.

Tufenuf

7. dotty999

dotty999 Thread Starter

hi Tuf, yes I always do that too:)

8. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Do you get these errors from setups you download fully and run off the hard drive?

For example if you download the setup for WMP11 and run it from its own folder where you downloaded it, does it install?

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/player/download/download.aspx

Have you checked the integrity of the drive?

If you run eventvwr.msc and look at the System Log -- errors in Disk, Atapi, or NTFS would indicate drive problems.

It would also be worthwhile to create a new user account and test from that.

9. dotty999

dotty999 Thread Starter

new downloads are fine, the problem arises when trying to update them
    I get the errors either via secunia or recently the file hippo site which links to the updates, even tried from the original programme update pages with no joy I also tried to update my Firefox version but still got the same error message, I assume the only way around it would be to completely uninstall the programmes and re install the latest updated versions :)

10. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Well usually these programs install over the top or do their own prompt for uninstall when you try -- but yes that might be the only answer if we can't figure out what is causing it.

If this problem were exclusive to programs updated through IE I would suspect some issue with the User Account/profile. That's why I suggest testing from another one.

Some 3rd party firewalls have also been known to cause issues, do you have one?

11. dotty999

dotty999 Thread Starter

I have Zone Alarm which has never caused any problems, I can't even update using Firefox as opposed to IE6

12. Elvandil

Elvandil

Try turning off the firewall just to see if that makes any difference.

And go to Start > Run, and type:

chkdsk /r

Answer "Y" to the questions and reboot so your drive can be checked.

13. dotty999

dotty999 Thread Starter

thanks, I did as you said but I'm afraid it's still the same, couldn't update anything

14. Elvandil

Elvandil

Do you have all the current Windows updates? You may have some problem reading pad files that are often used for updating.

15. dotty999

dotty999 Thread Starter

yes, I updated them all today

16. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

If it's any consolation I just discovered I have a somewhat similar problem with Firefox. I cannnot install extensions in the normal way -- they all fail with a "corrupt hash" message. I can install them by a manual method though since the files will download to a selected location without a problem.

Now I remember the last Firefox browser update also failed to auto update and i had to do that manually as well.

I recall some message about a corrupt XML file, but didn't pursue it since I assumed it was just going to be restricted to that Firefox update.

I don't have a clue as to what XML file could be involved or whether it's the XML install itself.

17. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!