1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Not Able to Access Entire Flash Drive

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Lancaster71, Dec 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Lancaster71

Lancaster71 Thread Starter

Hello,

I have a 4gb flash drive and some how when I was formatting it the computer only formatted 200mb out of the available 3.7gb. I have no idea how to get the computer to format the rest of the drive. The computer sees the rest of the flash drive but it wont let me delete the original partition and it wont let me partition the 3.5gb i locked up. When I try to format the 3.5gb part it says: "An unexpected error has occured. Check the System Event Log for more information on the error. Close the Disk Management console, then restart Disk Management or restart the computer." I have restarted the computer and the disk management console to no avail. I have poked around the application event viewer and I cold not pinpoint this error so I don't have anymore details from the computer. Here is a screen shot I took of the disk manager. Disk 2 is the flash drive that I am having trouble with. When I right click to delete the 200mb partition the 'delete' option is grayed out and unclickable. I am running Windows 7 Professional x86.

Thank you for your time,

Attached Files:

2. itsupportlondon

itsupportlondon

You may be looking into this for some time!
    As a quick workaround, try and follow the same procedure on a different computer.

3. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

run a chkdsk on both partitions

4. Lancaster71

Lancaster71 Thread Starter

I have looked at this on other computers; same problem. I cannot run chkdsk on either partition because there is no drive (ex. E:, F: etc.) that I can check it just hasn't been assigned. The disk manager sees it but since it has not been assigned a drive letter I can't access the space. It should be formatted FAT32.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/889657

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice