Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Not able to chose partitions when reinstalling Windows 10

988 views 13 replies 3 participants last post by  flavallee 
#1 ·
Hi. My daugther's computer is running a loop with Start-up Repair function after she installed an on-line game. The Error message: 0xc0000001
We do not have a Windows 10 OEM DVD or created a recovery DVD.
The "automatic fix function" and the "uninstall recent components" did not fix the problem.
There was no System Restore set-up to roll back to.

I downloaded on to a USB stick Windows 10 from Microsoft support on-line.
But now Windows 10 wont give me an option which partition to choose.
I wanted to try reformating but I fear this will get rid of HP's OME.

Here are the partitions
Drive 0 Partition 1 30 MB (system)
Drive 0 Partition 2 116 GB with 43 GB free (primary)
Drive 0 Partition 3 2 GB with 2 GB free (primary)
Drive 0 Partition 4 423 MB OEM (reserved)

My question, would I be causing reperable harm if I delete and repartition or format the drive in order to install Windows 10? We have an HP EliteBook 840 G2.

Thank you for your help.

See less See more
#5 ·
Serial: 5CG6100CKM
Product: N0W06UP#ABA
According to those serial and product numbers, you have THIS HP EliteBook 840 G2 Notebook PC.

Its support site shows it was purchased in March 2016, but it doesn't show what hardware and which Windows operating system it came with.

Which Windows operating system (7, 8.1, 10) did it come with, and which version (Home, Pro, etc.) did it come with?

-------------------------------------------------

#6 ·
Hi. I bought it last year on the Best Buy website but from an associate seller. It's one of those that were refurbished, that went through stringent prepapproved quality checklist .... bla bla bla ... But it came with Windows 10 installed. It worked well. Never had any problem with the laptop untill my daugther downloaded an on-line game. I am guessing it is an executable file (.exe). Reinstalling Windows 10 was my last ditch effort to salvage this laptop.

#9 ·
Hi I read the article you referenced. The problem is I can't even boot without Start-up Repair kicking in. That's my problem, I am stuck with endless loop that prevent me from loading Windows 10.
I will try to install Window 10 32-bit and see if that what prevented me from selecting a partition.

#10 ·
If that laptop came refurbished with Windows 10 Home or Pro 64-bit, stick with the 64-bit version and do not switch to the 32-bit version.
If that laptop has 8 GB or more of RAM, only 4 GB of it will be usable with the 32-bit version.
And more and more apps and device drivers are dropping support for the 32-bit version.

#11 ·
Hi Frank. I just tried installling the 32-bit version of Windows 10. This time the partition was selected automatically. However I have this message "Set-up was unabled to use the existing partition because the system volume does not contain the required free space" Do I simply format that partition? Is that how it works, or do I need to delete it and create a new one?

#12 ·
I'm not there, so I don't know what you may be doing wrong.

If you're doing a clean install of Windows 10 32-bit, you need to delete all existing partitions, then create a single partition, then select that single partition to install Windows 10 32-bit in.

#13 ·
Oh ... I underestand you can't tell me what I am doing wrong. No problem there. :)

What I am lacking and hoping to get guidance with, is basic knowledge that is plainly obvious to any IT person. In other words I worry a lot because "I know enough about computers to know that I don't know anything about them." You have been super helpful so far. Thanks. I think I am almost there.

I am concerned about deleting all partitions and creating a single one, since one in particular has OEM (reserved) as a description.

I was hoping that deleting/formating partition #2 only would solve the problem (plan A). If that is even possible. In other word, should I try to delete and recreate partition #2; or reformat partition #2?

Should I need to recreate all repartitions (plan B), would you know if it a simple case of going on HP's website and download the OEM for my laptop once Windows 10 has reinstalled?

Thanks again.

Drive 0 Partition 1 30 MB (system)
Drive 0 Partition 2 116 GB with 43 GB free (primary)
Drive 0 Partition 3 2 GB with 2 GB free (primary)
Drive 0 Partition 4 423 MB OEM (reserved)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.