1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Not able to download anything.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by joshhockey, Jan 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. joshhockey

joshhockey Thread Starter

I really don't have any idea about computers and recently I've been trying to download Skype and other things. When I try to download programs this comes up:

You have chosen to open
    SkypeSetup.exe
    which is a: Binary File
    Would you like to save this file?
    Save File Cancel

After I click Save File, my downloads pop up and I click to run SkypeSetup.exe, but nothing happens. Any ideas what might be wrong?

Also, when I click shortcuts on my desktop to run programs, they won't open and to even get onto the internet, I have to run Firefox in safe mode. Any help would be great!

2. bp936

bp936

Welcome to TSG

Are you the Administrator, or a guest on this computer? Did this happen before?
    Do you have any AntiMalware, Spyware protection other updated protection on your computer?
    Did you install any new hardware or program recently?

3. joshhockey

joshhockey Thread Starter

Computer is shared with my brother (his computer), this is the first time this has happened, I believe I have AVG, and no I haven't been able to install anything for approximately 2 months.

4. bp936

bp936

can you ask your brother if he put some kind of a block or control on it?
    Otherwise, what does AVG say? Have you tried Malwarebytes to run?

If anything is found on that computer and needs cleaning, ask a moderator to move it to the Malware Section.

5. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

In the meantime and because sooner or later, to fix the malware, you'll need to be able to run an exe file, go to http://www.dougknox.com and click the XP Tips link then on the XP Fixes link and scroll down to Doug's EXE file fix. It's quite safe to use and will put your Registry back to the point where .exe files are reassociated with the application that runs them.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/976361

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice