Solved Not able to install IE11 Error code 9C59

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

earguy

I am working on a computer for a small business owner who needs to have IE11 browser for a particular application. I have been unsuccessful in updating her system from IE9. When trying to update I get error code 9C59.

I ran SFC and CHKDSK, but nothing seems to be wrong. I checked with MS's tech site and the system seems to have all the necessary updates to be able to install IE11. I scanned for viruses using MBAM and HitmanPro and only a few bits of adware and a PUPs. Nothing major.

I tried System Update Readiness Tool but it didn't seem to work.

Any advice on how to successfully install IE11?

Microsoft have yet to come up with a fully-comprehensive explanation as to how this happens. There doesn't appear to be any rhyme or reason to it, since some machines will update fine while others - like the one you're working on - will simply not. Although I really dislike mentioning this route straight off the bat, for all the machines I've had problems with, and this goes into around a dozen out of hundreds, I've had to do a re-install of the OS and then install IE11 straight away with the vanilla OS to get this working properly.

If someone else can offer an alternate solution, I'd be very interested, too.

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
There are a number of reasons for the error received
The most common is that IE11 has pre requisites for its install
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2847882

which the computer does not have and although IE11 itself tries to install these - it is not always successful
If the computer meets the requirements IE11 will appear on the update list
If you have used the actual IE11 download as against it appearing on the list of updates - providing updates are so configured to include such, then the aforementioned problem may be the cause.

Re this
I am working on a computer for a small business owner
Please do not be offended - but working on computers other than your own - depending of course on your `agreement` with the customer - so to speak, is not a task to be undertaken without due precaution.
Securing data is vital - IMHO

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
You didn't say if that computer is running Windows 7 32-bit or Windows 7 64-bit, and if it includes Service Pack 1(SP1).

Considering it's still running Internet Explorer 9(IE9), I'm guessing its owner hasn't been very good about keeping it up-to-date.

---------------------------------------------------------------

It's a long shot, but something you can try.

See if IE10 32-bit or IE10 64-bit will install.

If it does, then try again to install IE11 32-bit or IE11 64-bit.

managed

Allan
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I think you have to uninstall IE9 before installing IE11 :-

Uninstall Internet Explorer 9 before you install Internet Explorer 11
During the installation process of Internet Explorer 11, you may receive the 9C59 error.

To resolve this issue, you may uninstall Internet Explorer 9, restart your computer, and then install Internet Explorer 11.
To uninstall Internet Explorer 9
  1. Click the Start button, type Programs and Features in the search box, and then click View installed updates in the left pane.
  2. Under Uninstall an update, scroll down to the Microsoft Windows section.
  3. Right-click Windows Internet Explorer 9, click Uninstall, and then, when prompted, click Yes.
  4. Click Restart now to finish the process of uninstalling Internet Explorer 9.
After your computer restarts, try to install Internet Explorer 11.
Then try downloading IE11 (then installing it) from here :- http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/internet-explorer/ie-11-worldwide-languages
Make sure you get the correct 32 or 64 bit version.

Source :- https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2872074

EDIT : posted before seeing posts 2 to 4 !

earguy

which the computer does not have and although IE11 itself tries to install these - it is not always successful
If you have used the actual IE11 download as against it appearing on the list of updates - providing updates are so configured to include such, then the aforementioned problem may be the cause.

Re this

Please do not be offended - but working on computers other than your own - depending of course on your `agreement` with the customer - so to speak, is not a task to be undertaken without due precaution.
Not offended at all. Backups have been made. Thanks.

earguy

Re this

I went to the link provided and I get the messgae that the updates have already been installed on the system.

earguy

You didn't say if that computer is running Windows 7 32-bit or Windows 7 64-bit, and if it includes Service Pack 1(SP1).

Considering it's still running Internet Explorer 9(IE9), I'm guessing its owner hasn't been very good about keeping it up-to-date.

IE10 doesn't install either.

earguy

Windows 7 32-bit

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
go
control pane
windows updates
on left pane
click change settings
what please are the settings
do not at this stage change them
a screenshot will be best

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online