1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Not able to open xslx excel files

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by skernk2, Dec 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. skernk2

skernk2 Thread Starter

I have a very old Excel program '97 and up till recently I was able to open files sent to me from later Excel programs but now some are xslx and unable to open. I looked online for solutions and I am not able to find anything that doesn't require subscribing to a "fix" installation. I know that Open Office works but for some reason I am not able to dowload the Open Office program. In Gooling that problem many other people can't finish downloading it either. Do I have to buy a newer version of Excel?

2. valis

valis Moderator

what error are you getting when downloading Open Office? Are you d/ling it from their site?

Not sure if Excel 97 will ever open .xlsx format.....you can try the format converter from MS, but I'm doubtful that 97 will ever open .xlsx.

3. skernk2

skernk2 Thread Starter

Thanks and that is what I thought so guess my best solution is to buy the latest version of Excel. I have tried installing Open Office from their website and even just re installed Java thinking that was causing the problem. The error I get is when it is almost finished installing "you are not authorized to continue downloading, try logging on as an administrator" I am the adminstrator as well as ower and even set my computer to add guest and tried installing from guest but unable

4. edhicks

edhicks

You might want to try Libreoffice an Openoffice lookalike

5. valis

valis Moderator

what service pack are you running?

6. skernk2

skernk2 Thread Starter

windows XP SP3

7. skernk2

skernk2 Thread Starter

I did try downloading Libreoffice and getting the same error message as with Open Office " Installer has insufficient privileges to access this directory : C//...... Log on as an administrator" so now I know the problem is with my installer not Open Office
    Thanks for suggesting Libreoffice.
    Any suggestions as to how to fix the installer error? I am the administrator on my computer.

8. valis

valis Moderator

do you logon as admin, or a user account?

9. skernk2

skernk2 Thread Starter

I don't even have to log in as I am administrator. Someone suggested settting up both Admin and Guest accts and I tried logging under guest but that didn't help either. I just tried MS Fix it and that was not able to install it either

10. valis

valis Moderator

can you post the error message verbatim? Or was that it above?

11. skernk2

skernk2 Thread Starter

That was most of the error message

12. edhicks

edhicks

13. skernk2

skernk2 Thread Starter

The actual message is
    "Error 1303. The installer has insufficient privileges to access this directory: C:\ Documents and settings\all users\start menu\programs\open office.org 3.3. The installations cannot continue. Of on as an administrator or contact your system administrator"

14. skernk2

skernk2 Thread Starter

Thanks Ed I did follow your suggestions and found out that my computer had an old version of Windows Installer so I did install the undates to Windows Installer 4.6 thinking that would fix everything but when I rebooted and tried downloading Open Office again I ran into the same error message. "Error 1303. The installer has insufficient privileges to access this directory: C:\documents and setting\all users\start menu\programs\ open office.org 3.3. The installation cannot continue. Log on as an administrator or contact your system administrator". I am the user and administrator so confused.

15. edhicks

edhicks

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1032126

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice