1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

not able to send and receive

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by pointegirl, Jan 3, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pointegirl

pointegirl Thread Starter

Hi, we just set up my daughter on the internet. Everything started out fine but now she can't send or receive e-mails. It was a computer that was given to her. When we set up the e-mail the other girls stuff was in there. I waited a few days and then deleted all of the other persons information. My daughter's account was all set up properly. I have checked all of her settings and talked to the tech guy at our server. We went through it all and did it all over again. Still no luck. I have a feeling that it might have something to do with Microsoft but can't figure out what it is. We set her password up as another name and password and the e-mail worked. Went back to hers and it wasn't working again. We are really stumped. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Pointegirl

2. Gnosisless

Gnosisless

Hi!

I'm sure you checked, but:

Is it possible you have some capital letters in the account name or in the password that aren't saved in the first setup?

Is it possible there's a typo in the POP or SMTP server names under Tools / Accounts / Properties / Servers (if you're using Outlook Express)? You could try copying and pasting from the account that works to the account that doesn't.

When you write back to tell us you've checked those things a million times :D , please include the following:

What email program are you using, and what version?
    Do you dial up to a local ISP, or do you have a cable modem or DSL?
    When it doesn't connect, do you get any error messages?
    If you don't get error messages, what exactly happens?

3. pointegirl

Hi,
    Thanks for the quick reply. My daughter is using Outlook Express. We have checked all the server names etc. numerous times. She is using dial up. She has no problem connecting to the internet. When we go into OE the mail does not come automatically. When we press "send and receive" an error message pops up right away. I can't remember the exact words but it say something like "cannot connect to Microsoft Mail Server" pop.mts.net and a few other things. I explained it to the fellow that we called and he thought he had it solved. Her logon to Windows also pops up in Outlook. It won't accept her password and we just click cancel. That's why I was thinking that it might be a windows problem. I am sorry that I can't give more info. Maybe I will try going to this site when I am there at her house. We live 25 miles away or I would just pop over there now. lol.
    Thanks again.
    Pointegirl

4. Gnosisless

Gnosisless

As you read this, keep in mind that Outlook and Outlook Express are different programs.

I had a very similar problem trying to connect to my Hotmail account in Outlook Express. At first it worked, then it just stopped. After I upgraded to IE 6 and Outlook Express 6, it worked, but not the same way. It now just pops up an icon that lets me click to bring up the Hotmail web page.

Since Hotmail and MSN mail are the same now (I think), upgrading *might* fix the problem, although other people have said that IE 6 is unstable (and to be honest, I have had a few quirky problems with it).

You also might want to try the steps listed in these articles.

This one tells how to configure Outlook Express with Internet Mail

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q171163

This one mostly relates to Outlook, but has some links for Outlook Express problems (make sure your daughter knows there's a difference, if she's the one who will be trying to fix this):

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q196211

Good luck! Write back and let me/us let us know how it's going.

5. pointegirl

Hi again:
    I found the piece of paper that has what the error says. It says "The host "smtp.mts.net" could not be found. Please verify that you have entered the server name correctly. Account "Microsoft Mail Server". Server smtp.mts.net Potocol SMTP, Port 25 Secure (SSL) No socket Error 11004 Error number 0x800CCC0D. We checked the server name and it was put in correctly. Sorry to be such a bother but I would really like to get this cleared up for her. Thanks again.
    Pointegirl:confused:

6. Gnosisless

Gnosisless

I'm sorry, I misread your other post and thought you were using MSN mail, instead of MTS. I was up too late. :eek:

Do you have Norton Anti-Virus, or another Anti-virus program that automatically checks your mail? If so, the account may be set to be routed through the Norton Servers in Norton AV, but NOT in your mail program. If this could be the case, try opening Norton AV and checking the Email settings. There should be a checked checkbox beside each email account in the Norton list. If the problem account is checked off, UNcheck it. If the account is unchecked, try checking it. Then check your mail. (re-enable the virus-checking later if this works and see if it's ok then)

If this isn't the case, well, I did look up the error at Microsoft. Error 0x800xxx0D means that the mail program couldn't see the mail server at the ISP.

Microsoft says this error is caused by faulty configuration in the account setup, and suggests trying all the things you've already tried. :mad:

BUT, maybe you didn't verifiy the Log on Using Secure Password Authentication box or the My Server Requires Authentication boxes on the Servers tab in the Account Properties? Please double-check these to make sure they are the same as the account that works.

Also, on the Advanced tab, make sure the Server ports are the same (probably 25 for SMTP and 110 for POP3), and that the SSL boxes are the same (probably NOT checked).

This article at Microsoft goes over troubleshooting steps, but I read through it and it IS mostly what you've done already.
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q274456

I'm not finding anything else on this problem; if this doesn't fix things, surely somebody else has some ideas? My only other suggestion would be to remove the account totally (again, I know) and enter everything from scratch.

Keep us up to date on how you're making out.

7. khaje

khaje

I've run into an occasional account or two where outlook express even if you have the right settings now has something curropted from before and it won't work.

Something quick to try that may work... go to Tools: Accounts and remove her account - NOTE: this will not delete any mail currently in the inbox or any other folders - then Click Add: Mail and proceed to fill in the proper settings. That may help.

Khaje

8. ezymony

ezymony

sounds like oe is not set up right your isp should be able to walk you through the settings over the phone

9. hewee

hewee

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/64090

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice