1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Not Able to Start PC .. SYSTEM file missing...

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by TarunM, Feb 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TarunM

TarunM Thread Starter

So my sister gets hold of a computer in the house and ruins it, and here is the dilemma I am facing: I turn on the computer and right away i come to this message....

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
    \windows\system32\config\SYSTEM

Attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup using the Original CD-ROM. Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair.

So I enter the cd rom and press 'r' for repair, I choose C:\windows, however before it can begin to repair it asks me for an 'Administration Password' which I have no idea of after many attempts.

I do not want to have to format the pc since I have some very important files on it. Any help is appreciated.

2. ratchet

ratchet

Did you try hitting enter without typing anything?

3. TarunM

TarunM Thread Starter

lol, yes I did.

4. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Can you contact whoever installed the operating system to see created for the administrator's password.

5. TarunM

TarunM Thread Starter

well it was my brother who installed the operating system, and no body remembers assigning an administration password.

6. TarunM

TarunM Thread Starter

any other suggestions?

7. bobol

bobol

Assuming you get the advice later to start repair install, be aware of when to press that 'r' if you want to save your files[better still also back up your files to cds if you can]. It wouldn't be the first time you see the 'r' that you press it...here's a guide;
    http://tinyurl.com/1h3r
    Its useful to in letting you know what you MUST do after a repair install.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!