1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Not able to upgrade XP Home to Professional!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Rasu, Nov 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Rasu

Rasu Thread Starter

I have a new Toshiba Satellite P15-S409 that I bought a few days ago. I am trying to upgrade from XP Home to XP Pro. When I run the upgrade CD, it reboots and tends to freeze before the upgrade process starts!

I did a bit of searching, and found the following related articles:

1. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;321645&Product=winxp
    (also: http://209.167.114.38/support/TechSupport/TSBs/ALL/-TSB000754.htm)

2. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;292607

The first article says that certain Toshiba Satellite models have this issue during the upgrade, and suggested that I disable certain drivers ('TOSHIBA SD Card Controller Type A', and the 'Toshiba PCI-0804 SmartMedia Host Controller'). I disabled the first one, but could not find the second entry as specified in the IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers node, or anywhere else! After rebooting, the upgrade still did not proceed.

The second article says 'Microsoft does not support upgrading Windows XP Home Edition with Service Pack 1 (SP1) to Windows XP Professional without SP1'. So I tried uninstalling my XP SP1a, rebooted the machine, and tried continuing with the upgrade - and yup, you guessed it - no luck here either!

What I need to know is this:
    - Can I still upgrade? How do I do this?
    - Every time I now rebot my laptop, I see two options before the OS loads up, one is to load the Windows XP Professional Setup, and the other is the Windows XP Home. The laptop boots by default to the Windows XP Professional Setup (which of course does not work!!). HOW DO I GET THE LAPTOP TO BOOT TO XP HOME BY DEFAULT? OR HOW DO I REMOVE THE OPTION TO BOOT TO THE XP PROFESSIONAL SETUP??

Thank you very much for your patience, and your suggestions!!

Rasu

2. stod73

stod73

Skip upgrading and install XPpro straight up.

3. Rasu

Rasu Thread Starter

But will that not cause a lot of disruptions in the programs I have already installed (i.e. will I not have to reinstall everything else again too)??

Please suggest. Thanks.

4. stod73

stod73

Yes, you will need to reinstall all programs with a clean install of XP Pro but that is a good thing. Windows does not handle upgrades very well and you will get a better overall operating system if you start clean.

5. compilerxp

compilerxp

But of course you have the problem of the "bundled" software which is usually only available as part of the "IMAGE" from the system with no way to reinstall it.

Take notebook back and purchase a version with XP-PRO.

Ah... the M$ nightmare.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/181430

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice