1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Not Accessing Microsoft or Anti-virus Sites

Discussion in 'Networking' started by IvyWinter, Feb 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. IvyWinter

IvyWinter Thread Starter

Hey all, ive done tons of research on this and have tried all the fixes. Can't Run XP on all 3 computers that are connected on the same linksys router. All of them cannot access microsoft.com, do not get windows updates or updates for their respective anti-virus programs (two with AVG, 1 with Comodo). I try on both firefox and internet explorer.

I have tried using combofix to check for malware on all 3 computers, and that didn't work. I have tried changing the MTU. the highest my MTU goes is 1492... i tried 1462, 1400, even 576 as one site and lots of people reported was working. Doesn't work.

I even tried looking at the Host file, and that's fine too. I'm at my wits end.

2. IvyWinter

IvyWinter Thread Starter

Update: one of the three computers works just fine now. Accessing microsoft, avg is updating, etc. It runs on the same router and the other two. The Dell, which has the router hooked up to it, and my computer, still do not have access.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

How about a specific Microsoft site you can't access?

Try opening a command prompt and doing a TRACERT <site_URL> for one of the sites you can't access. Post the results here.

4. IvyWinter

IvyWinter Thread Starter

So tried a bunch of urls that don't work and it gives me this:

Unable to resolve target system name comodo.com

of course when i type in any websites that work, it works just fine.

I pretty much can't access any microsoft site. None of the forums or tech help or anything that has microsoft.com in its url.

no comodo.com, avg.com, or symantec.com, mcAfee.com, avast.com, kaspersky.com.

if i put any of these into the tracert, it comes back with the Unable to resolve target system name <url>.

I attempted on both the computer i am on now as well as the Dell that's also being affected.

5. JohnWill

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD to open a command prompt:

In the command prompt window that opens, type type the following commands, each followed by the Enter key:

TRACERT comodo.com

PING comodo.com

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter to copy the contents to the clipboard.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

6. IvyWinter

IvyWinter Thread Starter

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Christine>TRACERT comodo.com
    Unable to resolve target system name comodo.com.

C:\Documents and Settings\Christine>PING comodo.com
    Ping request could not find host comodo.com. Please check the name and try again

7. JohnWill

What specifically did you do to get the one machine working?

8. IvyWinter

IvyWinter Thread Starter

Truthfully, i didn't do anything. It's my fathers, and he hopped on, and said AVG was updating suddenly. So we checked microsoft.com and the other sites and low and behold, they worked. But it wasn't specifically after I had done anything. That's what we can't figure out.

9. JohnWill

Boot one of them in Safe Mode with Networking and see if you can access some of those sites.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/797609

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice