1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

not booting all the way

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by stonagecomp, Jan 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stonagecomp

stonagecomp Thread Starter

OK. I am running windows XP professional. 120GB Western Digital; D865PERL Motherboard socket 478 w/ 3.0GHz 800FSB; 2x 512Mb Kingston HyperX DDR pc3200; ATI x800 XT; 600Watt PS(just came with the new case); sounblaster live; a cdrw and dvd rom and floppy;
    I just tonight put all this together which is upgraded from my old computer. I have two power supplies two motherboards, CPU's. I transferred the video card; cd rom drives and floppy and the hard drive. They were all working earlier tonight just fine.
    The system will boot to a black screen where it asks me to choose my operating system:
    Like this:

Microsoft Windows XP Professional
    Microsoft Windows

It has done this ever since I upgraded to XP...don't know why but never questioned it because it would boot before. Oh, and I always chose the top choice because the bottom brings me to a prompt to format the drive after it detects it.

Now when I choose the top choice it goes to boot then goes to a screen where you can choose from the boot options like:

Safe Mode
    Start windows in normal mode, etc.

I have chose all the options that would boot the system from any boot device possible but it just goes right back to the first choice, the Microsoft Windows Xp or the other and then the process just repeats.

I tried my other systems ram...pc2100 DDR 184 pin and nothing different. I tried using my slightly smaller power supply, the 500 Watt and nothing different, and I tried my other socket 478 (2.4GHz 533 FSB) and nothing different.

I have a spare Hard Drive that I am going to try and format and see if that is the problem but if that is the case, what could have caused my main hard drive to malfuntion?

Well any help is appreciated. Thanks for reading my long winded question/description.

Jesse

2. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Youi cannot expect it to work. XP was installed on your old system and during the install it picked the correct drivers for the motherborad and all the peripherals. You have now changed those, so it is trying to load the wrong ones for your current set up.
    You will need to boot from the XP CD and do a repair install over the top of the existing one.

3. stonagecomp

stonagecomp Thread Starter

I see, I hadn't taken that into account only because I have upgraded before and never had that problem. I will do that and stop posting if it works, thanks a bunch.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/324247

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice