1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Not booting

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by dj-jamster, Dec 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dj-jamster

dj-jamster Thread Starter

Hi, I have a really old elonex I got from school for free, I reisntalled xp on it, it was fine... Today i booted it and the fan fired up but the hard drive and CD ROM drive didn't? There was no signal via the VGA either... i ahd a fiddle and found when I unplug the IDE cable from the hard drive, and leave the power in the hard drive boots up like normal, this is the same with the CD ROM drive? To me it sounds like a short coming from the IDE... Any Ideas?

2. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

My best shot would be that the power supply unit, which send various and varying voltages to different parts, is starting to fail. Your local Maplin will sell you a 450Watt for £24.99 and fitting is a DIY job - open the case and only four screws hold the unit in.

3. dj-jamster

Are sure? I have a few bent pins on my IDE, and it can't be the power pack, I fitted a new one the other day.... But I've straigtened the IDE port pins as much as i can :s

4. dj-jamster

And I doubt it's the cable as I have about 6 IDE cables all in good nick...

5. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

To affect your hard disk and optical drives, those bent pins would have to be on the motherboard connector. Is that where you're saying they are?

6. dj-jamster

Yes, the pins are bent on the motherboard itself, I ahve tried straigtening them with plyers, a screwdriver and tweezers and they look pretty straight but nothing?

7. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

Clue- there's only supposed to be one missing - top row dead centre.

8. dj-jamster

Yes that one is missing, I didn't say any pins are MISSING

9. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

I know you didn't but I think we have to conclude one of them is missing from the other end where you can't see it. Two drives are unlikely to be wrong but the common denominator is the motherboard connector.

Swap the cable from the blue connector into the white one - if necessary connect the hard and optical drive on the same cable so long as the hard drive is set to Master. Restart and go into BIOS and you should see your hard disk and CD ROM are showing up as Secondary IDE 1 and 2 instead of Primary. Windows might be upset so you may need an external method of nobbling the boot options. Do you have an XP CD?

10. gfne

gfne

I was gonna say it could be due to a conflict of master/slave.

11. dj-jamster

Yes I have an xp disc, but as there is no power getting to the CD ROM drive AND the hard drive on both the IDE ports on the motherboard.. Unplugging these sorts it.. and I can't get to BIOS without the hard drive.. Also not one pin is missin exept the one that is ment to be

12. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

Drives don't get power from the motherboard connection - power comes from the PSU through four pin plugs which only fit in one polace, one way round on the back of the drives. Whether it's connected to the motherboard or not, if there is a power to the CD ROM, the drawer should open - does that happen?

I think we're moving back to PSU in Post #2 here but gfne's suggestion of checking the drive Master/Slave jumpers - even if it worked before and they haven't been changed

13. dj-jamster

I do know this! If you READ carefully, WHEN the IDE cable from the motherboard to the CD DRIVE OR HARD DRIVE is connected no power gets to the device (so no the tray does not open) upon disconencting the IDE cable and leaving the 4 PIN POWER PLUGGED IN the disc tray opens..

Would swapping RAM modules make this happen?

14. gfne

gfne

On some systems I've seen the cable select option as an option that the system no longer understands or isn't able to [fill_in_the_blank.]

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/969780

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice