1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Not DCI Compliant!!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Monkeyshines, Feb 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Monkeyshines

Monkeyshines Thread Starter

I am trying to play an OLD game called Sonic CD, its an old Sega CD game that used to run on Windows 95. When i try to run it, it brings up this box that says ''video driver not DCI compliant''.

I have scoured the web trying to find a DCI compliant driver (whatever that is), or some sort of solution to my problem. I have tried running it in windows 95 compatability mode, using a special patch tool designed for that game (soniccdfix.exe), and even creating an ISO of the game and trying to run it in an EMULATOR (gens.exe)!!!

I am stumped.
    Where do i get something that will make my video driver ''DCI Compliant''?

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Boy I have not seen that in years. DCI= display control interface.
    It was used in the early days of win 3.1 and 95. The problem you are going to have is that modern drivers for xp, are not going to be detected as compliant by that old of a game.
    I really have no suggestion other than if you really really want to play that game, you could setup a dual boot with win95 / xp [provided your board supports win9x] The other way would be to setup an old system to play old dos type games. I have one here to play wolf3D, heretic, etc.

3. Monkeyshines

It seems like you know what youre talking about, too bad i dont have any idea what you just said.

So Exactly how do I fix this? I really want to play this game!

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You would need to do one of the things I posted.

1 Set up a dual boot with win9x and xp. Do check that you can find drivers for your hardware for win9x. Most modern hardware ie motherboard, video cards, etc do not have drivers for win9x.

Note the above requires you wiping the drive and installing win9x first then xp. So make sure you backup anything you want to save.

2 Find an old system and install win9x on it. Since this is an older system, you will be able to get drivers for the old hardware.

The basic reason the game will not run is that win9x allowed apps direct access to hardware. In nt based os like xp or win2k, this is not allowed; hence the problem.

5. Monkeyshines

So you're saying i have to get an old computer and use that to play the game?

Thats not a solution, thats a cost.

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

No, read the post completely. If you can find drivers for win9x, you can setup a dual boot. That will not cost you anything. It is up to you, do you want to play this game and how much time and or money do you want to invest?

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/544772

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice