Not Deleting???

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

caniac

I'm doing some video editing. I have a 14GB file on a 40GB NTFS partition. I deleted the file and got the message that its too large for the recycle bin, would I like to permanently delete it? I click yes.

The problem being that the file appears to be gone from the drive, the space it used is still occupied. Meaning I only show 14 GB free on the drive instead of the 28 GB that should be free.

Why is this? What is happening and how can I fix this?

Thanks

use an erasing software. just deleting it doesn't remove it-all it does is mark that disk space as available. the file isn't actually gone until it is overwritten by new information, hence not showing that space as available in My Computer.

caniac

What type of software would you recommend? I'm a bit confused now since the file is no longer shown.

Thanks

caniac

I still have this problem. Can anyone provide some insight?

Thank You

You don't happen to be running Norton System Works or Norton Utilities on your system do you?

actually spybot search and destroy adware remover has a file shredder that will completely destroy it and release the space

Run a chkdsk.

This space should be free after a file is removed. It is possible it is not allocating space correctly. Also It is possible that you have a damaged/corrupted FAT table.

I have seen similar issues with Roxio goback. It installs a 4gig section of your HDD for its restore points. I have seen a drive where a client installed Goback several times and chewed up all their available disk space because it was not releasing it.. Was not able to find a solution other than Nuke 'n Pave

SexyTech is saying what I was thinking....try this:

Go to the trash bin icon on your desktop and right click on it.
From the list, select "Empty Norton Protected Files"
At the prompt, select Purge All (This is Norton's way of backing up files that "skip" the recycling bin)
Now check your drive space and it should read the full amount now!

Funny thing is that I found this forum trying to find the answer to the exact same question you had asked....I knew that in the past I had corrected this problem (or that the computer had worked it out) and then it dawned on me a little latter and I was happy that I could help someone else with the same problem! :)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online