1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Not detecting Anything with IDE

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by aoitatsuxx, Mar 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. aoitatsuxx

aoitatsuxx Thread Starter

Ok, heres exactly what happend...my friend gave me a hardrive(used) one day since i needed more space, when i attached it to my computer and restarted thats when the problem started, i dont know if either its my motherboard or something but anything connected to the IDEs does not get detected. harddrives,Cdrom etc, the floppy gets detected, and so does my sata raptor. I tried new another power supply..nope...I tried getting new cables, that didnt work..i tried taking out all the harddrives leaving one in, that didnt work...i also flashed my bios to newer updates which also didnt work. then i got the idea of trying to downgrade (using older versions of the "updates" for my bios..and using one hard drive and it just showed me question marks a row of them..i am stumped some help please?

window xp
    3200 amd semperon
    two kingstong 512s hyper x ram
    10,000 rpm raptor (32 g) (sata)
    k7n2 delta 2 (platium edition)
    floppy drive
    radion 9800 pro 256mb
    600w power supply

Non detected stuff: (all ide)
    20gig IBM harddrive 7200rpm
    80gig seagate hd 7200rpm
    80gig western dig 7200rpm
    52x sony CD rom
    dvd rom..

2. tonkacat

tonkacat

Did you move the jack on the used hd from master to slave?

3. aoitatsuxx

yes switched around with hard drive master to slave,did not work, might be hard drive problem as well ...but why my cd/dvd roms?

4. tonkacat

tonkacat

Because if the hd is not connected correctly it causes a conflict. On the back of the hd is a small jack, maybe 2 small jacks. Different hard drives have the jacks in different positons. An example: the orginal hd in my daughter's computer has...

A C E G
    B D F H

The jacks are on pins a/b and g/h.

The new hd has the jacks on pins:
    (master) C/D and G/H
    (slave) E/F and G/H

If you don't have the book for the hd try doing a google search. You should be able to find the information easily.

5. aoitatsuxx

well that i did switch up the master slave, i know what they are though :) but i believe thats not the conflict, because I already tryed using a single hard drive that originally worked setted as master and still nothing

6. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

bad cable or try the other connection on the ide cable.

you got the hd from a friend. did you happen to ask if it was problem free or did he give it to you as a paper weight?

7. reneirwolf878

reneirwolf878

Somehow this happened to me a while back and what I did was switch the IDE cable going from the CD rom with the one going to the HDDs. You may have done the same, try switching them.

8. aoitatsuxx

hehe i tried switching like 3 differnt cables, and using a brand new one, im still wondering if that hard drive he gave me could of caused all these problems x_x

i'll try that :D

9. tonkacat

tonkacat

10. aoitatsuxx

lol ps2? um :confused: but hey thats something i didnt know u can do, awsome!

oh and reneirwolf, wow it worked! now i feel stupid haha, just wont detect my original hard drive, so maybe its currupted but thanks alot , at lesat my CD/DVD rom works too.
    You are GODLY!

11. bigbear

bigbear

Is the PATA controller enabled in bios?

12. tonkacat

tonkacat

(Oops! I posted the wrong link. It's just ones of those days.) A Gateway tech once fried my daughter's hd by connecting it to the cd slot on the motherboard.

13. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

that's what friends are for.

if you didn't ask............:cool:

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/451623

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice