1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Not detecting battery/Red power light

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Asphyxiating, Feb 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Asphyxiating

Asphyxiating Thread Starter

Hi there, I have a Dell Inspiron 6400 laptop and it is about 2 years old now. I have been taking the battery out when I can in the hope that it won't run out as quickly. However, I noticed the battery was only lasting about 1.5 hrs (depending on use) so I just left it in and now the icon in the taskbar says there is no battery detected, even when it is in. When I take the charger out, the battery continues to run but it still doesn't detect it and a continuous red light comes on the charging symbol. It lasts for a while and then just shuts down without warning when the battery runs out.

So the battery is still working, I'm guessing it's still charging if it can still function but it says it's not detected by the computer? I'm confused on what is the problem is here - whether it's a dying battery or motherboard problem? If anyone could shed some light, it'd be appreciated!

Thanks

2. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

Does the computer indicate the state of charge in the battery in Control Panel> Power?

When the battery is left on charge over night, how long does the laptop run on that charge?

3. Asphyxiating

Asphyxiating Thread Starter

I'm on vista but the battery meter in the control panel doesn't show any battery charge, it's just greyed out

The battery lasts for about an hour, maybe a bit less, after charging overnight

Thanks

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/904619

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice