1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Not Detecting Drives

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by ebony, May 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ebony

ebony Thread Starter

I tried to fix my son's computer which would not boot.The first tried to reinstall Windows XP Home and was told there was a problem with the hard drive. I formatted the c drive using a Windows 98 boot disk. I then tried to install Windows XP Home butnow the computer couldn't find c drive. I rebooted a few times and now the computer cannot detect the primary master or the CD ROM drive. I'm not sure where to go from here.

2. natcom

natcom

first check on the Bios those the bios see the primary master or the CD ROM drive ?
    next if bios dont see it check the cable make sure is in on the primary IDE channel
    next check on the Hardrive jumpers make sure is set to master if you have any other hardrive unplug from the system and only work with the main drive next will be to download the diagnotic software for your hardrive and have your drive check or write zero to the drive if you dont need anything from the drive and you want to do a clean install of windows xp if you do going to do a clean install setup your bios to boot from the cdrom first put your windows xp cd in the windows xp cd will let you format and partition the drive before you install windows

3. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

it might be a bad hd.

98 formatted fat 32.

was xp home installed or did you add it?
    is this an upgrade cd or for the full install?

when you tried to reinstall, were you ever asked how you wanted the hd setup, fat32 or ntfs?

4. ebony

ebony Thread Starter

When I tried to install Windows XP it informed that the installation couldn't take place because there was something missing in the drive. I can't remember what exactly. I then formatted the drive and tried to install windows and it was at this point it told me that it could not detect a hard drive on the computer. I intend to get another hard drive and try again.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!