1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Not detecting my 3rd HD

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by confusio, Jun 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. confusio

confusio Thread Starter

Hi,

Let me tell you a bit about the bg of my problem,i started my pc with 2 HD one with windows xp <c:> and the other was a backup <d:>,I wanted to try windows 64 bit so i bought another HD and installed it as <e:> after the i installed the trial of 64 i started to get probs with my boot.ini so i uninstalled it with the intention to install S.u.S.e linux but after i uninstalled it i couldn't access my <c:> with XP because it came up with a ntldr error so i installed windows XP on <e:> where 64 bit use to be and repaired my original xp from there.But i found out for some reason the disk names changed and my backup became <c:> my original xp became <e:> and my new xp became <d:>.

I didn't think it was anything serious so i uninstalled the new xp and installed s.u.s.e and told it to install on <d:> where my new xp was but it installed it on <e:> where my original xp was ,i'm guessing it was because of the mix up of all the names and stuff but now i lost my original xp and all its content & when I try to start the original xp (because it still comes up with the boot list) it says hal.dll is missing.

I tried starting s.u.s.e and it asks me for a password but when i enter it it comes up incorrect and when i try it on safemode it asks me for a username that it randomly selected when i was installing it and cannot remember what it was.

I reinstalled xp on the HD where i wanted linux to install <d:> but my E: HD does not appear to be listed on my HD's list only c: and D: appear and E: appears as my CD/DVD,has anybody got any ideas what to do?also is my original xp still on my pc or has s.u.s.e formatted it when installed?any help is greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance

kind regards

Mick

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/476335

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice