1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Not displaying Banners

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by mixx941, Jun 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mixx941

mixx941 Thread Starter

Hello everybody.

I hate banner ads as much as the next guy, but when I see banner ads that have the address "ad.doubleclick.net" or something like that, they do not display.

They will just say Action Canceled.

I have attached a screenshot from the TSG homepage, and you will see the banners are not displaying.

Any ideas on why this might be happening?

Thanks

-Mark

P.S. It doesn't happen on some websites...

Attached Files:

2. Swiper

Swiper

Ad blocking / pop up stopping / an edited Host file will cause that.

did you install anything that would have changed your HOSTS file at all.
    Most likely the cause.

3. mixx941

mixx941 Thread Starter

I figured it was one of those three, but cant put my finger on which one.

I do not have any popup killers or ad blocking software.

At one time I tried iHateSpam for Outlook Express, but that screwed up my whole OE when I removed it, so now I use Mozilla Mail.

Where is the hosts file located? I might see what's blocked in there?

Thanks

-Mark

4. jnibori

jnibori

(C:\Windows)

Try putting it into your Search program. You want just Hosts, with no extension. When you find it, view it with notepad, and you should see the lists of sites in there.

Hosts file: http://www.accs-net.com/hosts/what_is_hosts.html

5. mixx941

mixx941 Thread Starter

Hmm, well it seems you are right. Take a look at my HOSTS file:

Could this be related to KaZaA Lite? I am assuming by those words used "Illegal sites that try to sell KaZaA Lite...."

Just for fun I tried one of those ".de" sites, and I got Yahoo Deutchland. I went to www.kazaa.com and I got a popup. It was for classmates, and sure enough classmates was on this list.

Do I just delete everything, or how do I restore my old settings?

Also, would it be better just to keep it like this and not see those banners?

Thanks

-Mark

6. jnibori

jnibori

Your IPs (the numbers before the URL ) are all the same. They are the local host address- your computer, thus those sites are blocked.

Perhaps you have installed some software to prevent certain sites from being accessible, and that software uses the host file. :confused:

A guess would be that those banner adds are in there somewhere. Those are what should delete if you want to be able to see the banners.

7. mixx941

mixx941 Thread Starter

No, no blocking software has been installed.

:confused:

-Mark

8. jnibori

jnibori

There is one thing you could try, although I don't know what, if any consequences it would have. You could try re-naming the Host file to HostNo, re-boot and check this site for the banner ads. I think your system will be unable to locate the Host file, which in essence would disable it. This is just a guess though.

Also, I have read (yesterday in another forum) about how a long Host file can slow your surfing speed. I don't know if yours would be considered long, but I thought I'd pass it on.

I just checked mine again, and none of the entries have the 127.0.0.1 as the IP.

9. Bulldog

Bulldog

Just delete or rename the hosts file to something like hosts.bak.
    It will not hurt anything, and you will see the ads again .

10. Bulldog

Bulldog

The hosts file is there to actually speed up your surfing. You can put the IP's of your favourite sites in there and supposedly have them load faster. So instead of 127.0.0.1 it would be the IP of the site.
    Check this link out for info.
    http://www.accs-net.com/hosts/

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/140491

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice