1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

not enough disc space to complete disc defragmenter: something's fishy here

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Mickactual, Sep 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mickactual

Mickactual Thread Starter

Hi folks - hope someone can help.
    I'm running XP Home on a Sony VAIO. The PC has a partitioned HD: C (main), & D (storage). I defrag every night.
    This evening, I got the dreaded "not enough disc space to complete disc defragmenter" message. Suddenly tonight I'm showing only 2% free space on drive C. I went in and changed my System Restore percentage from 12% to 6%. Now I'm showing 6% free space (but still can't defrag).
    I shouldn't have had to change my System Restore percentage tho. I'm sure that's not the culprit. Up until last night the C drive was nowhere near this full. Something's there tonight that wasn't yesterday. ...A whole LOT of something. The Defrag graph is showing a nearly FULL C drive with a LOT of red "fragmented" files"
    I've been doing a bit of downloading, but after it's on the desktop (part of C), I move it to the D storage drive (which has a LOT of free space remaining).
    Something's fishy. :eek: I'm no expert, but I'm thinking I need to find some type of application to tell me what's suddenly on that drive taking up all this space. Anyone have any helpful suggestions?...

2. Athan

Athan

Hi

you can use spacemonger 1.4 to check out whats eating up your disk space.

you might also find spacemonger FAQ useful.

cheers
    ~a

3. Flaming Neko

Flaming Neko Account Closed

Try using free Anti-virus programs, there might be Trojans in your computer, there are also lots of viruses that send invisible files, they can send up to 1 GB and more so i recommend buying Kaspersky or getting a free anti-virus program

4. Mickactual

Thank You both for Your replies!
    Flaming Neko - I have NAV, and run it daily. That was my first fear, but nothing turned up in any virus scans.
    Athan - I used Spacemonger, and that did the trick. Turned out a very large download not only went to where I sent it (my "D" storage drive), but unbeknownst to me a duplicate copy also loaded onto my "C" drive (nearly filling it to capacity). Spacemonger revealed it.
    Again - thank You both!
    :)

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

A piece of advice. It is really not a good idea to defrag every night. Defragging is a strain on the drive and you are reducing its useful lifespan. Besides that, there has been no time for your OS to gather usage information that will allow it to calculate the optimal placement of files on the drive. It needs to monitor your usage for a period of time to do that.

Fragmentation is normal and rarely affects system speed unless extreme. Give your machine a break and save your defrags for weekly or even monthly. Or if you are using a defragger that lets you set a percentage, set it to 10%. That way you won't be defragging unless it is really needed.

6. Mickactual

Interesting....it's funny how you get different opinions on things from different people
    I may just try giving it the odd rest...
    :D

7. jd739

jd739

Mickactual,
    Have you had any more problems?

I'm running into the same problem with my "C" drive and most advice says that I have a virus. I'm running Norton virus and Zone alarm firewall. I was curious if your problem was fixed before I tried to restore. I'm running Sony w/windows XP as well.

Thank you.

8. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

His problem was due to a large file taking up megagobs of space on C:, that SpaceMonger found.

Have you tried this utility?

9. Elvandil

Elvandil

Have you ever heard anyone suggest defragging every night? The opposite is more common--that NTFS never needs defragmenting at all. I don't subscribe to that one, either.

10. Severcool

Severcool

I agree with you Elvandil. Defragging should not be done unless you perform an analyze and it tells you to do so.

There is an analyze button on Windows Defrag next to the Defragment button. This will give you a good idea if you need to defrag or not. Hope I have helped! :)

11. angelofthenorth

angelofthenorth

Have you tried selecting the particular drive in the my computer folders menu and just browse down see whats on the drive, if you've been downloading a lot your downloader may be putting them on this drive . you say you move them once downloaded, but the original may still be on the drive - if they are -delete. I dont suppose anyone is interested but I have noticed that whenever defraging is mentioned there is a debate - if I have been downloading and deleting a lot, I always defrag - never had any trouble yet.

12. Elvandil

Elvandil

Maybe I should add to that, though, just in case your defragger allows it, you should run chkdsk first before defragging. If there are errors, a defragger can really scramble things. Most either run a check or won't run if the drive is dirty, but not all.

13. Dr. Chauncey

Dr. Chauncey

Defragging is like owning a pet. It's nice to pet your animal every so often, when it needs love, but if you pet it until it bleeds... that's too much love.

For example, if a single pixel-wide red bar in your disk analysis causes you to panic, you may need to seek professional help, and enroll in a 12-step program.

Alternately, if your drive is all red, with a few white and blue bars here and there, you're beyond help. In this case, defragging your harddrive is likely to be a week long process, if it doesn't crash within the first twelve hours.

You know you're doing it right if defrag takes somewhere between 10-40 minutes.

14. Mickactual

My problem had nothing to do with a virus. It turned out that a major download had somehow duplicated itself both on my "D" drive (where I intended it to be saved), as well as on my "C" drive. This duplicate used all of the available space on my "C" drive and effective ground me to a halt. Spacemonger found this (thank You again "Athan"), and after I deleted that duplicate, I was back in business.
    Have Norton or Z.A. found a specific problem, or are You just assuming it's a virus? Norton can't always remove them, but, if nothing else, it'll usually tell You exactly what problem You have when You run a full system scan.
    Back to the subject of defrag - can anyone recommend a good (read: better than Windows) one?

15. Severcool

Severcool

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!