1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Not Enough Disk Space... Really?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Nazgul-Killer, Jan 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Nazgul-Killer

Nazgul-Killer Thread Starter

Hey guys.

I've recently acquired a game called World in Conflict, and I've attempted to install it... It was all going good, I set my directory to my G drive (110 GB free), and when I click on "Install" it says I don't have enough space on my hard drive.

(The specific error: "There is not enough disk space to install this option(s). Please free up some disk space or modify your selections).

The game requires 8 GB of free space, and its default install directory leads, as always, to my system drive (C) which has around 1GB of free space.

Using advice given to me by compatriots, I've changed the directory of Windows's temporary documents to D drive (Which has 50 GB free), figuring it might change something and even if it won't it can't do any harm. It didn't change anything, needless to say.

Worth mentioning: I have overall 15GB in C and cleaning it to clear up around 7GB seems radical and useless when all I want to do is install a game. I don't want to mess too much with my system drive.

How do I solve this? Any help is appreciated!

EDIT: Forgot to mention I run Windows XP SP3.

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

You need to get a larger drive or free up space. You need 15% free space just for defragging, and the temp files can take up many GB's during installations and burning.

Once above 75% used, you are beginning to look for trouble, including the system starting to fail to boot at all.

3. vic2pc

vic2pc

Here's a possible way to do it: have you ever used Sandboxie? It lets you run apps in a sandboxed folder of your choice (on any drive). So I'm thinking, if you can't install your game any other way:

(1) Install Sandboxie.
    (2) Run Sandboxie and configure it to have its sandbox folder on your G: drive.
    (3) Right-click the "World in Conflict" installer and select "Run Sandboxed".
    (4) Install the game to the default "C:" folder, which in reality will be to the sandbox in your G: drive.

Now you have two options:

(1) Always play the game sandboxed (which will probably get annoying).
    (2) Move the game's install folder from inside the sandbox, to outside of it to a normal folder on your G: drive. Then you might be able to launch the game unsandboxed. I say "might" because it depends if the game requires Registry settings that would now only exist in the sandbox.

Try it anyway, if you can't get it installed any other way.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

Have you tried changing the install location to D: in the custom options of the installer?

Though most programs do not put all their files in the Program Files folder, those that do will benefit from being installed elsewhere.

The previous solution is without support or testing, but was completely made up off the cuff.

5. Nazgul-Killer

Well, as I've said, I customized the options to install it on G:/Games/World in Conflict. That's why I have an issue, I have no idea why the game tells me that I don't have enough space when I clearly do. 110 GB is more than enough.

I'll refrain from downloading any additional programs at the moment, but if all else fails I'll do what you said, Vic. Thank you.

6. pcunite

pcunite

Is your G: drive NTFS ? Right click on the drive and choose properties ...

7. Nazgul-Killer

Aye. It is. As are my other two drives.

It's important to note that both C and D are both on the same hard drive, yet I've partitioned them, while G is on its own hard drive.

8. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Some programs simply aren't well coded. The installation routine may be hard-coded to check the C:\ drive/partition for a certain amount of free space regardless of what you select as the installation directory.

You definitely need a larger C:\ partition. 15GB is not near enough for Windows and programs that require system drive space.

9. Nazgul-Killer

Aye, I realized that thanks to you guys, and I think I'll invest some money in a new hard drive and boost C:\ up a tad.

Basically you're saying I should give up on this?

10. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Yes. It almost certainly is looking at C:\ regardless of what you select as the destination.

11. vic2pc

vic2pc

That's why installing it with Sandboxie will solve the problem. The app will THINK it's installing to C:, but in reality it'll be installing to G: (assuming point 2 of the first section that I described above has been carried out).

12. Nazgul-Killer

I think I'll try what you said Vic. I just don't like installing programs I don't know onto my computer too often.

13. Nazgul-Killer

I've tried it with Sandboxie, and I'm afraid it didn't work.

However, I did solve the problem. My friend had already purchased an earlier version of this game, some years ago, and gave me his CD. I installed it and it worked perfectly. I guess it was just down to horrible .exe or something.

14. vic2pc

vic2pc

Glad it's sorted! :)

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1037728

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice