1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Not Enough Free Disk Space?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Skinty, May 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Skinty

Skinty Thread Starter

Hey guys,

I have a really confusing problem here.. im not too clued up on PC's, but im not too stupid either. Anyways, I have a file.. 4.3gb in size (3 files actually..) on my PC. I want to copy it over to my brothers laptop and when it gets to about 91% it stops and says "Cannot continue: Not enough free disk space".

Thing is, theres 26gb free on the drive... any ideas? :confused:

Thanks in advance!!
    Skinty ;)

(Btw, I also posted this in Networking.. dunno which one to post in :( Sorry if I wasn't supposed to.)

2. Sponsor

3. I Fix 4 U

I Fix 4 U

What filesystem are you trying to copy it to. On some fat systems the largest filesize of one file may be 2GB so if the file is like 3GB big then it wont work. also try copying it to its own folder.
    What operating systems are you dealing with?

4. Skinty

Skinty Thread Starter

Hey! Thanks for replying,

Okay... PC and Laptop both using Windows XP Pro SP2, However... the Laptop's FS is Fat32 while my PC is NTFS.

Could I use WinRAR to split the files to make it smaller?

Thanks in advance.

5. I Fix 4 U

I Fix 4 U

Shouldn't be a problem copying to NTFS.
    You could try breaking it up and piecing it back together.
    Also, make sure the computer you are copying *from* has enough disk space. Sometimes while copying it caches the files to a certain location.

6. Skinty

Skinty Thread Starter

Hmm, im copying from my PC to the Laptop, so its from NTFS to Fat32, will try breaking it into 650mb files with WinRAR. Thanks for your help. :)

7. I Fix 4 U

I Fix 4 U

I'll be happy to hear the outcome.
    Also dont forget to try and copy one at a time.

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Are you getting the message "Not enough server space" by chance?

9. Skinty

Skinty Thread Starter

Okay, hey guys. Fixed!!!

@crjdriver: Nope, it said "Not enough free disk space" - thats it.. nothing else.

@iXneonXi: thaaank you for your help!! I split it into 4 ~750mb .rar's and copied it across perfectly. So im banking on what you said about FAT not being able to take more than 3gb or so at a time...

Thanks again!!#@$!!!!! *happy*

Skinty

[edit] Okay... :( Busy unpacking the .rar's aaaaaand what do I get?! "Only NTFS drives support files larger than 4gb" GRRRR!!!!!!! :( [/edit]

10. I Fix 4 U

I Fix 4 U

Well yah, i kinda expected that o well, looks like thats the drawbacks of an old filesystem. Sorry about that man thers not much u can do about that except converting the partition which is dangerous. Or shrinking it and adding a 10GB NTFS partition justincase you need to store one or two files larger than 2GB.
    Glad i could help tho.

11. Skinty

Skinty Thread Starter

Bleh oh well its all good, hopefully i'll be able to format and reinstall. Thanks again for all your help, learnt something new :D

Peace.

12. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Actually the file size limit on Fat32 is 4Gb, it WAS 2Gb on Fat16.

13. I Fix 4 U

I Fix 4 U

Thats what i thought. Which is wierding me out how he can't just have a large file. Ive had trouble with big files on *any* fat filesystem. Eventually my vmware drives freak out because they get to big and it is *supposed* to split them when they get to big but no, instead why not just crash the filesystem...
    I have never seen a 4GB file.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/362277

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice