1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Not Enough Free Memory

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by fancy875, Apr 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. fancy875

fancy875 Thread Starter

:confused:
    I am using an HP 7960 with a Windows Millinium upgrade. In the last few weeks, I have been getting an error of sorts that tells me I do not have enough free memory to run the program I am trying to run (say to print out a pic or go to another site such as hotmail from ebay) It says for me to close down other programs and try again. Trouble is the only way I can move from the existing site is to close EVERYTHING out, including disconnecting from my ISP and starting from my desktop. I have done the thorough scandisk and de-frag every weekend for the last 2 months, cleaned out my temp. files, cleaned out my recycle bin and checked to see how much space I still have on my hard-drive. I am only using 37%. I also recently changed my virus protection from McAffee to Norton, don't know if this matters or not. PLEASE HELP

2. Dingenium

Dingenium

Check your System Resources, and post the percent here:

RIGHT CLICK on the MY COMPUTER icon on the desktop, and choose PROPERTIES

Click on PERFORMANCE, and look for the second line down. It should say SYSTEM RESOURCES and have a percentage. Reboot the computer and before doing anything else, try this and then post. It should be around 80% or so after restarting.

If it is, there is a possibility that the file is too big. But, try the above first....

3. fancy875

fancy875 Thread Starter

Thanks, I checked my resources just after reading your reply, and it showed "12%" free. I then re-booted my computer as instructed and checked it again without doing anything else and it showed a whopping "26%" free. If it should be at 80% where do I go to get rid of the clutter. I thought I had cleaned out everything unnecessary, leaving only the programs I had to have. All I have connected are a printer, scanner, and digital camera. WHAT DO I DO AND WHERE DO I GO TO DO IT.....PLEASE HELP

4. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

First, download and run SpyBot to check for Spyware, which if present, can devour resources.

Then, download and run HiJackThis and copy/paste the log that it creates, into a subsequent reply in this thread.

(If you wish, you can use this site to remove some of the obvious startups via MSCONFIG, before you post back the log)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/221088

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice