1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Not enough memory for Windows?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jdlucas, Oct 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jdlucas

Jdlucas Thread Starter

I have a computer here that my sister's friend gave me. It's a Compaq Presario 4712 running Windows 95. Nothing with it... no recovery CD's, nothing.....I'm not sure how much memory it has (RAM) or even the processor speed.

When I boot it up I automatically get the option to start it in Safe Mode, etc. with a message that says "Windows has detected a registry/Configuration error - Choose Safe Mode to start Windows with a minimal set of drives...."

When I choose Safe Mode and press Enter, I get a message that says there is not enough memory to start Windows then it shuts down.

Is there anything I can do to wipe it clean and start over? ... or is it hopeless?

I've never done this before, but am learning.

2. mobo

mobo

Can you open the case to see how much ram is inside ?

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    According to the Crucial site, the Compaq Presario 4712 comes with 24 MB of EDO RAM and supports a maximum of 128 MB. There are 4 RAM slots present, so each slot can handle a maximum of 32 MB.

The RAM specs for it can be viewed here.

Frank's Windows 95/98 Tips (Also a Windows XP user)

4. Jdlucas

Jdlucas Thread Starter

So, do I have to upgrade the memory before I can re-build???

5. mobo

mobo

All depends on the amount of actual memory installed at the present time. windows 95 will run on 4 mb or memory but a minimum of 8 from microsoft so I guess you would have at least that much since the machine will power up..What other options do you get on the safe mode screen ?

6. Jdlucas

Jdlucas Thread Starter

Following is what the options are on the screen when the computer boots up:

1. Normal
    2. Logged/ \bootlog.txt
    3. Safe Mode
    4. Safe Mode w/network support
    5. Step-by-Step confirmation
    6. Command Prompt only
    7. Safe Mode Command prompt only

7. rmay635703

rmay635703

Get an old dos boot disk with the mem command boot off the floppy and type mem, this will tell you how much ram is in the unit

Or try hitting tab or esc during the boot screen and it should say how much memory is installed.

I have a feeling though that windows is just messed up as Windows 95 will run on any amount of ram that can be installed in that unit (your unit at the least will have 4mb as it is physically impossible to install less on the system board and have it boot)

More than likely you will have to reinstall windows

Cheers

8. Jdlucas

Jdlucas Thread Starter

Also..... maybe someone can "decipher" this for me (hee)...

I typed "mem" at the C:\ prompt (I chose the Safe Mode Command Prompt only option)

Following is what is says:

Memory Type Total Used Free
    Conventional 639K 93K 546K
    Upper 0K 0K 0K
    Reserved 0K 0K 0K
    Extended(XMS) 15,360K 15,360K 546K

Total 15,999K 15,453K 546K
    Total under 1MB 639K 93K 546K

Largest executable program size 546K (559,296 Bytes)
    Largest Free upper memory block 0K (0 bytes)

What does all this mean exactly? (Just curious)

9. Lurker1

Lurker1

Basically it means that you have 16 meg of memory which should be enough to run windows 98, but slowly. According to HP your system should have 24 meg of which 8 meg is not removable (built into the system board..

slots 4 (2 banks of 2)
    max. memory 128MB
    installed memory 24MB (8MB non-removable)

HP memory cost

32MB EDO Micron $63.15

You may need to have this running to see the extra 8 meg of memory.

http://h20015.www2.hp.com/en/softwa...33679&sw_lang=en&prodId=compaqpres92825&cc=us

I'm not sure of the computers specs but it may be better to buy a newer computer than to try upgrading this one.

10. Deathdealer

Deathdealer Guest

jdlucas it says that sometimes at start because some of your things on your computer like cards and keybaord mice power arent plugged in right

try that and post back here

11. rmay635703

rmay635703

Something I had happen once on a 95 box that prevented me from going into windows was when himem.sys was deleted from
    c:\windows that will give you an error message about not enough ram to boot into windows

If you have another machine running windows 95/98 copy the himem.sys, boot into dos using a windows 95/98 boot disk and copy himem.sys to c:\windows

Cheers

12. Jdlucas

Jdlucas Thread Starter

Actually, I think the real issue here is the error perhaps (?)

"Windows has detected a registry/configuration error"

???? I really just want to zap it and re-build it with XP..... but at this point it looks like I need to spend at least $80+ for a memory upgrade (max of 128 MB) if I even want to run Windows XP.

Is this possible??? Can you upgrade to Windows XP from Windows 95???... and if so, how??

13. Jdlucas

Jdlucas Thread Starter

....or Lurker is right in that I need to give it up and just get a newer computer!!!!!!

:)

14. Lurker1

Lurker1

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/173265

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice