1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Not finding boot device

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Salinas, Nov 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Salinas

Salinas Thread Starter

I have a somewhat old Toshiba. Satellite C75D-B7260. i was having problems woth the disk running at 100% so i tried poking around and ended up doing a restart and scan and now it would get stuck at 10% during the scan and next thing you know now it just pops up, no bootable device -- please restart system. The first time i got this laptop a few months ago i just hit 0 and did hdd recovery and it worked fine until now. Now i cant even do the hdd recovery. All it does is let me hit f12 to the boot menu and it has the hdd info but wont boot from it. Hoe can i just wipe this laptop again? Trying to keep windows but if i cant its fine.

2. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

3. Salinas

Salinas Thread Starter

4. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

If the Windows operating system has been damaged so bad that it cannot boot, then it needs to be either repaired or reinstalled. Both of those options can be done with a bootable Windows DVD or USB flash drive.

Before you try that step though, run the hard drive manufacturer's hard drive diagnostics to make sure the hard drive is not failing. Hard drives don't last forever. They are mechanical, with moving parts. Moving parts cause wear. And once that wear becomes great enough, it is physically impossible for the hard drive to perform its intended function.

5. Salinas

Salinas Thread Starter

How do i run the diagnostics?

6. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Usually, you boot the computer from the DVD or USB that you made from their download and follow the onscreen instructions.

7. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    You need to see if the hard drive is recognized. It doesn't sound like it is.

Boot into the BIOS and see if a hard drive is listed.

8. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
  9. Salinas

Salinas Thread Starter

The hardrive is listed. Opened the toshiba and unplugged and plugged it back in just in case. Still not booting even though it registers in bios

10. Salinas

Salinas Thread Starter

Aight ima go buy a usb tomorrow and download windows 7 to see if it will work

11. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1218656

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice