1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Not Genuine Copy of Windows?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by RsX, May 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. RsX

RsX Thread Starter

I've always downloaded the "Windows Update" that pops up on the task bar, and it suspects that I'm using a non-genuine copy of windows. Can this be because I share the same copy of Windows with a couple other different people?

Anyhow, my main point is, how do I uninstall those updates that I've installed so this "you may be a victim of a counterfeit copy of Windows" which appears at startup. I was going to try system restore, but if someone had a better solution, it'll be great.

Thanks.

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

You learned the hard way not to share ;) It's illegal too. I'm sure the 'share folks' will be getting their message soon as well.

A system restore will only help you for a bit. Looks like your user license has been black listed, as well it should be.

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    You can use the same XP CD to install the operating system in multiple computers, but you need to have a separate 25-digit product code for each computer.

In other words, you need to buy a separate XP CD and 25-digit product code for each computer. If you choose to stick with a single XP CD, you need to buy a 25-digit product code from Microsoft for each additional computer.

I think I explained that right. :rolleyes:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4. sjupr

sjupr Banned

I responded to a sort of question like this from another poster. He was not as upfront as you re: the validity of his XP copy however! Pretty much M$ will eventually disable your copy as you continue to update it manually or have updates installed in the background. There's not a whole lot you can do, per the previous poster. Uninstalling updates is not easy or practical. You can always look for the KBXXXXXX update references and uninstall those using your restore know how. This is pretty difficult and can result in a non-operable OS. My advice is spend the $29.00 that a valid copy of XP will cost you when you shop around for one on the internet.

5. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    If someone is selling a Windows XP CD on the Internet for $29.00, especially a full version and not an upgrade version, I'd seriously question its validity. :rolleyes:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

6. sjupr

sjupr Banned

I agree, but I thought I would encourage folks to try to be Legal :) BTW, if nothing elso at you get a supposedly valid activation code. If not, well there goes my beer money for tonight!

7. RsX

RsX Thread Starter

Okay, thanks for the response guys. I will need to reinstall a couple of my computers and use different validation codes for each of them. I actually have different ones for each (they came with the Dell I buy), was just lazy to find the different copies laying everywhere.

Thanks for the help.

8. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

One thing that was not mentioned. Microsoft knows all of the leaked (illegal) key codes. They started this as an experiment with Service Pack 2 Beta 2 and after they came out with the real one no longer until now persued it. Believe it or not they know every illegal key code out there because when they do a Windows Update what do you think they scan? Yes your system Registry. This is where all of the info on your computer is. I hope nobody believed that thing about not sending any info to Microsoft.

Have a good day.

I was jsut notified by a MVP that this is Illegal and I apologize to all concerned for misleading you in this way and I ahve removed the offending part of my post.

9. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

PS in case you don't realize it, this is NOT legal! I suggest you read the EULA that comes with the Academic versions. You may NOT transfer it to a non-student.

10. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

I do apologise apparently I was mistaken. I will go back if I can and remove my post

Thank you for pointing that out.

11. brendandonhu

brendandonhu

As well, not all invalid Windows copies are known. Microsoft has know way of knowing all of the invalid license keys.

12. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

And your point is? :confused:

13. brendandonhu

brendandonhu

Point being that just because Windows Update doesn't say your key is invalid doesn't mean you have a legit copy-- like using a student license on a non-student computer (someone posted that but it was removed)

14. Sasy Deb

Sasy Deb

I have a question regarding this - My daughter is getting the same message- it just appeared about a month ago--- so are you saying this message has to do with the auto updates that she does?
    We took the computer to Best Buy to fix something, when they re-installed xp and used their own software - could this be causing our problem.

another question- does anyone have simple instructions on setting up a printer on multi computers? I did manage to do it to 2 computers- but now i forgot.

thanks!

ps- would buying a windows xp update help?

15. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/468307

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice