1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Not Genuine Windows Problem

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by jfriedlund, Aug 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jfriedlund

jfriedlund Thread Starter

I had posted earlier a question on how to stop the nagging from Microsoft that I didn't have a genuine copy of Windows XP (which I believe I do have a genuine copy) and the response was the forum here was not to show how to work around Microsoft and the thread was closed. I guess Microsoft has had enough problems with people like me that they posted the procedure on how to remove this problem. I think since it's directly from Microsoft support it's ok to post here (hope so anyway). It worked for me.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/921914

2. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

It should be noted that this is for the PILOT version of Windows Genuine Advantage and might not work on all or any of the newer versions.

3. zumlif

zumlif

Had the same problem.
    Go to C:\Windows\system32
    Rename WgaTray.exe WgaTray.exeold
    " Wgalogon.dll Wgalogon.dllold
    Kill wgatray.exe from Task Manager
    Reboot
    I was given details for Windows NT which included some registry instructions which don't appear on XP2. The above worked for me .If it doesn't try it in Safe Mode.

4. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

This will tell you if your Windows XP is legal or not.

Please download this from Microsoft and run it on your computer
    Filename = WGADiag2.exe
    http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012

If it shows anything other than Genuine it is illegal as far as Microsoft is concerned and it might just be but if you get that it is illegal follow the next step

Microsoft did introduce a program where they would replace a pirated copy of XP if it was unknowingly acquired and you will find the details of that offer at this link. I think the best thing for the member to do is to contact Microsoft and they may be able to help the member out.

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2005/jul05/07-25WGA1PR.mspx

5. zumlif

zumlif

To jfriedlund,
    Re my earlier response here are some more details. If you don't follow these there is a possibilty that the message will return as happened to me.
    regedit
    \HKEY_LOCA_MACHINES\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Notify
    delete folder "Wgalogon" and all the contents.
    Unhide folder view
    C:\Windows\System32\
    rename WgaTray.exe to WgaTray.exeold
    rename Wgalogon.dll to Wgalogon.dllold
    C:\Windows\system32\dllcache (if you can find it)
    rename WgaTray.exe to WgaTray.exeold
    then Task Manager etc.
    I hope this helps

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

zumlif, giving instructions on how to bypass this license check is not within the TSG Rules, please refrain from such postings here.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/489311

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice