1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Not much help in TSG anymore....

Discussion in 'Site Help, Feedback, & Announcements' started by paulb100, Apr 3, 2008.

Advertisement
  1. paulb100

paulb100 Thread Starter

I remember when I first joined this site and I'd usually get a response from 2-3 people inside of 24 hours and my email inbox used to be full of "Someone Has Replied...." TSG notification emails... nowadays I rarely get replies... I do post a lot for help , questions etc but replys are far and few between compared to what they used to be like..

does anyone else notice this?

I sometimes think its ME and that the Pro's that browse this site are probably sick of me keep asking this , that and t'other hehe

maybe i will rejoin under new alias

2. PCcruncher

PCcruncher

The site has become busier since you've joined, Do you think that could be some of it? There are a lot of threads going right now, from all the new people. Look how many threads are viewing in Malware removal & the XP rooms. 700+!

Edit: there are currently 1000 unanswered threads :eek::eek:

3. hotskates

hotskates

How far back does that go? I mean, are they unanswered since yesterday, this month, this year, or unanswered since TSG started? Just wondering:rolleyes:

Just for the record.......Every time I have a tech related problem and post a question, I gets tons of help.....and fast too....and my problems have always been solved too.:)

4. paulb100

paulb100 Thread Starter

HOTSKATES: yeah , I think I know what needs to be done... NEW ALIAS .. i think some members get tired of helping some people that continually post...like me (hehe) but I work with computers and always have something going on whether it be tweaking at home or building/repairing a customers PC...

like you I used to get help no matter the questions but now ive got to 'beg' for it... ive seen me BUMP my threads days later after no replys

I may start using other tech sites like I used to

5. hotskates

hotskates

paulb100: I agree with what you said:) Some might not jump in to help you because of seeing your name all over the board with tons of questions. But, if you change it and start the same pattern of possibly over-asking questions, the same people would recognize you and your new "name". I don't know what else to suggest to you, sorry you're having this problem :(

......most likely the more complicated the problem the less help you would get. My problems are more "mainstream" while yours are probably more advanced and complicated ;)

6. paulb100

paulb100 Thread Starter

yeah your probably right with the latter - im wanting help with

1. BIOS backup
    2. Vista MTU Tweaking
    3. Superfetch partialy caching

and more....

7. blues_harp28

blues_harp28 Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Hi check back to say the 1st of April and see how many people have posted a question and have yet to receive a reply.
    Some may be new members with infected machines..systems that will not start etc.
    I think your success rate of receiving replies is good.
    Maybe a lack of gratitude here paulb100.

8. tomdkat

tomdkat Retired Trusted Advisor

A number of questions I've asked here have gone unanswered and some of that is due to the volume of traffic in the particular forum I've posted my question in. I don't know what other factors contribute to the lack of assistance I've received here other than people just not knowing the answer to my question. :)

In terms of providing assistance, I've helped the same people in certain areas repeatedly and that doesn't bother me at all. I provide assistance as I have time to do so and sometimes I get busy and don't have tons of "spare" time to spend here. :)

Peace...

9. TechGuy

TechGuy Administrator

First Name:
    Mike
    I think a lot of it has to do with the type of question. The more difficult the question, the fewer the number of people who can help with it. It's unfortunate, and I've seen some sites move to give points to members for helping with problems to try to address that problem. I always liked the open nature of this site, but it might be something to consider.

10. paulb100

paulb100 Thread Starter

Ive certainly plenty of gratitude for those that have helped me in the past and I myself have helped others on many occasions on this site even going into Remote Assistance which is what I usually charge to do, im not 'spitting out my dummy' cos no-one is helping im just saying that responses seem fewer nowadays... one of the main problems i think is most helpers may not go past the 1st pages of each forum and therefore by the time say 20 threads come in its knocked yours onto page 2 where less people actually wander... i know when i 1st joined it was to help people and i used to flick through the 1st page of he forums i wanted to browse - not through ignorance but through habit if just wanting a 'quick-look'

HI Tech-Guy ... I LOVE this site....!!!

11. tomdkat

Yeah, I realize this but a number of questions I ask here really aren't that complicated. Here is an example. It's not a major issue or anything, just an example. :)

In any event, I certainly do appreciate the assistance I do get here and the unanswered questions don't bother me. :)

Peace...

12. Blackmirror

Blackmirror

We are only human

13. hotskates

hotskates

Me too....... :)

14. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

There seems to be an increase in copy-and-paste advice where people don't even read a post thoroughly to determine if their snipet post applies. Personal experience and interaction are important parts of this site. If all people are going to do is copy and paste the same advice over and over, you might as well turn the forum into a static website of FAQs.

15. tomdkat

Interesting observation. I tend to see what you describe mostly in the malware removal forum, and I can understand that since the same removal tools tend to be recommended often (which makes sense). I also see this some in the networking forum when people are asked to run commands to get configuration information that is needed to help troubleshoot.

Do you see the trend you describe elsewhere too?

Peace...

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/699966

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice