1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Not powering up - replaced PSU, replaced MOBO

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Lexsar, Nov 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Lexsar

Lexsar Thread Starter

I have a HTII 713 luggable PC that will not power on. When this problem first started, you would hit the power switch and the power would "stutter" but not come on or make it to post. I upgraded the power supply. It originally had a 460W PSU and I upgraded to an Antec 650W PSU hoping that would cure my ills. Still displaying the same symptoms. I got an exact replacement Intel motherboard (Intel DP965LT) and swapped it out.

Now I get power lights, but no fans, or hard drives spinning up. When I hit the power, the case fans and PSU fan will move just a tick but not spin and this only happens the first time I hit the power switch. I have to wait about a minute or so and try again to get this to even do this much. I've triple checked the power connections and mobo connections.

Any ideas?

Other specs; 2GB RAM, GeForce 7300GT video card; SCSI interface card, Adaptec Firewire card.

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Have you attempted an out of the case assembly to test the board in a basic state?

3. Lexsar

Lexsar Thread Starter

Looks like it may be an issue with the CPU. I get steady power with the CPU NOT installed but if I try and power it up with the CPU installed, I get this "stuttering" power issue. I'm looking for a replacement now. It seems that they have discontinued this particular processor, an Intel 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo E6700. I do find E6750's available, how bad would it be to use an E6750 instead of the E6700?

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

As long as the board supports it, no problem. You need to check the mb maker's site for the cpu support list.
    You do understand the 6700 has a 1066fsb and the 6750 has a 1333fsb so the board must support the faster cpu in order to use the 6750.

5. Lexsar

Lexsar Thread Starter

Mobo mfg site (Intel) lists supported processors and there are several CPU's on the list. I was also considering a Core 2 Quad that is on the list of supported CPU's but I am concerned about heat. There is no extra space in this case for a different (read: larger) heat sync.

My other concern is that Intel says the the e6700 power consumption is 65W and some of these other CPU's range from 95W to 130W.

Thoughts?

6. Rich-M

Rich-M

If you are using stock Intel Hsf, I would bet one of the pins is not all the way through and you can't really tell without removing the board and looking underneath to make sure all for posts come all the way through he motherboard.

7. win2kpro

win2kpro

What you described is a symptom of what Rich-M stated. On socket 775 processors if the heatsink is not installed correctly, the processor fan will "twitch" or run a couple of RPM's and stop. Re-secure the cooler.

8. Lexsar

Lexsar Thread Starter

This "stuttering" problem started on it's own. PC was working fine on a Friday and when the user tried to boot it up on Monday, the power started "stuttering" and wouldn't boot. Now I can see how this could possibly be the issue after swapping out the Motherboard, but at first when the CPU was unmolested, I doubt this could be the case. I'll try and reseat the CPU and make sure that all four posts are through the board. I'll keep you posted. Thanks...

9. Rich-M

Rich-M

I have seen them run for months even though one pin was loose and then it loosens up more and the same problem ensues.

10. Lexsar

Lexsar Thread Starter

OK, I've removed the CPU, reinstalled it then reinstalled the heatsync with new thermal paste. Back where I started. With nothing except the CPU, heatsync & fan and RAM installed, I still get "stuttering" when I power it up. This is a new motherboard and new PSU. Ideas?

When you say "one pin" do you mean on the CPU? There are no actual pins on the CPU, the pins appear to be in the socket...

Thanks,

11. Rich-M

Rich-M

No there are 4 pins that go through holes in the board and one of them is what I was referring to.

12. Rich-M

Rich-M

Next bets are change the psu and then ram. Have you checked the ram is compatible with the board by model # and manufacturer?
    I would run memtest86 on the ram www.memtest.org
    Run for complete tests where each test has 8 complete passes...takes 3-4 hours and 1 error at all and the ram is the answer.

13. Lexsar

Lexsar Thread Starter

I would test the RAM if this thing would boot at all but it does not. The issue is that when I power on the PC, it "stutters" and does not post, and does not boot. That said, I'm quite sure it is compatible as it has been running fine in this machine for the last year +.

It is a new motherboard and a new PSU.

14. Lexsar

Lexsar Thread Starter

To be clear, if you're referring to the screws at each corner of the heatsync/fan then yes, I've confirmed that all four are approximately equally through the motherboard.

15. Rich-M

Rich-M

Yes I am.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/767922

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice