1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Not recognizing CD/RW

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ajs1017, Aug 19, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ajs1017

ajs1017 Thread Starter

My CD/RW has gone out to lunch. It appears to be fine because the power light comes on and when booting up it comes up with the message: Detecting IDE Secondary Slave etc... This is good!

However, when I put in a CD it appears to load and all, but when I try to get to it I can not find it via My Computer or Windows Explorer.

Did the driver go out the door or do I have to look somewhere else.

I just recently purchased the CD/RW drive about a month ago.

Any help would be greatly appreciated - Thanks Tony

2. swwelsh

swwelsh

Here's a good way to find out if you have a hardware problem or a driver/software one. Boot from a win98 startup disk with cdrom support, and see if the drive is detected and can read disks. If not, the drive is probably bad. Also check inside the system to make sure a cable has not come loose. If it reads ok from the boot disk driver, you probably have a problem with your Windows IDE drivers, try removing and reinstalling them, and check to see if there are any newer ones available

3. Proggie

Proggie

Something just to watch out for. Detecting secondary IDE slave...that's good, but from my experience it tells what type of device is hooked up. For example, for my harddrives it actually says somewhere in there the word "hard drive" (actually gives the model number I think too for me), but for my cd-roms, it says "CD-ROM DEVICE" or something to that effect. If it's not finding it in BIOS, then it's hardware related. Just something I noticed in the past, but it might be different for your computer.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/92003

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice