1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Not recognizing memory

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by bigbighugs, Sep 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bigbighugs

bigbighugs Thread Starter

I am trying to upgrade memory on an older PB model, Manufacturer number 842929102 Platinum 2010 series, Intel Pentium proc. with MMX. I am running windows 98 on it. It has the PB680 mother board in it. I had 24mb ram in it and am trying to install 128mb ram. I have also updated the bios in it to the latest 1.00.12. My problem is the system is only recognizing half of the memory (64mb of 128mb). I am sure the new chips are good because I have switched the sets around and they work. I don’t think it is the mother BD because it recognized memory in all 4 slots before I tried to upgrade.

2. greengeek

greengeek

Maximum memory for the motherboard might only be 64MB, quite common with older boards.

3. brindle

brindle

That MB will recognize 128 meg
    heres the specks

EDO
    SIMMS
    You say it "recognized memory in all 4 slots before I tried to upgrade". Did you have two 32 meg. sticks? And now are you trying to add another 64 meg stick to up ram to 128, using three slots. If so I would say each slot only recognizes 32 meg and you must upgrade in increments of 32 meg.

4. greengeek

greengeek

EDO RAM goes in pairs only so you should have 4 x 32MB sticks. A lot of that older RAM is not labeled so it's very hard to tell exactly how many MB each stick is. Hope you got the new RAM from a reputable dealer.

5. skyman

skyman

I just did this recently and you will probably have to put in 4 - 32 mb sticks.

Go to www.crucial.com and you will find that they will have what you need.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/163623

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice