1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Not Recognizing My Ram

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by brandon91, Jan 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. brandon91

brandon91 Thread Starter

Well I Have 4096MBytes of ram CPU-Z says so and so does my order sheet from alienware

my processor:
    intel core 2 duo e4500 @ 2.2ghz

and i run vista home premium 32bit edition

but when i go to control panel i get this
    [​IMG]

any solutions or ideas to why its doing this guys ?

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Vista 32-bit does not support 4 GB's of RAM.

3. brandon91

brandon91 Thread Starter

that just pissed on my fire =| those *******s at alienware are about to get a very ****ing angry customer phonecall

i gotta go buy vista home premium 64bit now i guess ?

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

64-bit will definitely support it if you have a 64-bit CPU. But why do you need so much? Vista works well on 3 GB's and though some processes can put the extra RAM to use, having 4 GB's can sometimes lead to problems since some programs are unable to determine exactly how much RAM you have when the system itself does not recognize it. I think you'd save yourself a lot of heartache if you went to 3 GB's (or 64-bit).

There are ways around it, like using PAE (physical address extensions) if your board supports it. But all of those are stop-gap measures that are not as good an idea as using the RAM and memory as it was intended to be used.

5. brandon91

brandon91 Thread Starter

id just like to be able to use everything i payed for tbh , alienware overcharge alot aswell and i definitely will be custom building my next rig

i just dont understand why they sold me 4gb when they knew it was fully compatible with my OS

6. Gulo Luseus

Gulo Luseus

The point of $gb on Vista, as I see it, is to give you a full 2Gb minimum. If you have 2Gb installed, you will lose a certain amount to Windows. By putting in more, it means you will be able to fully utilise 2Gb. Sounds like weird logic, but in a weird twisted way it makes sense.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/667282

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice