1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Not recognizing new RAM

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lamstaldy, Dec 15, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lamstaldy

lamstaldy Thread Starter

I have a Packard Bell Legend Supreme 1910, it came with 32M of RAM. I removed the 32M and installed 128M. My computer still says that I have 32M. I checked the advanced settings of msconfig and I am not limiting the size of allowable RAM.

2. fireboy69

fireboy69

What type of ram are you installing? According to several sites I checked, your computer does not support standard PC66 SDRAM, so you would have to use a special type of ram made for this computer. This type of thing happens a lot with proprietary computers like Packard Bell. Hope this helps :)

3. Linkmaster

Linkmaster

Hi lamstaldy,
    You might try going here. Just put in your PC info and they will tell you what type ofmemory you can use.
    www.crucial.com

4. deuce

deuce

Your specific packard bell model uses pc-66 SDRam. You have one memory bay that is divided into two expansion slots, maximum supported amount memory is 64mb in each slot for a grand total of 128mb in the whole bay... bay must be mirrored. The reason you are only getting 32mb out of it is because there is too much in one of the expansion slots, but as it is giving you something, I don't know why it is only giving 32 and not 64. Do you have the original 32 in the other slot? That too surprises me... you shouldn't really be getting anything out of those... but my guess is the 32mb you are getting is coming from the 32mb module, and nothing is coming from the 128mb. So, back to your computer... each slot can only hold up to a maximum of 64mb, so you will have to return the 128 for two 64 modules. Bays must be mirrored so each expansion slot must have the same size and speed memory in it, but you won't need to worry about that since you are topping the ram off.

[EDIT: Try the 2 64mb ones but just to let you know, packard bell and compaq (for the record, compaq is trying very hard to take the place of packard bell in its wake) both are really in to making product-specific computers so most replacement parts need to come from each company, respecfully. You can beat that great feature by using ram from the original manufacture, so the computer thinks it came from the guy who sold you it. Compaq and packard bell I think both use (or used) SDRam from Siemens, so if the 2 64 mb modules don't work you will need to replace the original 32 with 2 64s from the same manufacture as the 32, which I am guessing is Siemens. PC-66 SDRam is getting difficult to find in itself, let alone pc-66 made by Siemens or any other specific manufacture. Sorry if this info becomes irrelevant, but more than enough help is better than not enough... and in that case it might just be a little useless info you will have picked up at TSG.]

Hope that helps... :)

5. lamstaldy

lamstaldy Thread Starter

Thank you for your help. It does seem that my problem is I'm overloading the one slot. I have ordered 2 64M PC66 modules. Hopefully this will cure my ills. Just for info I do not have the original 32M installed, just the new 128M. Also I found the RAM at www.oempcworld.com, I did a search on my computer and they told me what I should use. I guess a little more upfront research would have saved me a lot of trouble.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/61889

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice