1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Not recognizing new RAM

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sharrell, Mar 8, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sharrell

sharrell Thread Starter

Hi guys,

I am at my wit's end. I am working on a 200 MHZ Pentium machine with AT mobo, PcChips model M573 from the info that I have. I am trying to install a 128MB DIMM. The system currently has 2 16MB SIMMS with two SIMM slots available. There a total of two DIMM slots. I have tried every possible physical configuration. I can't find anything in CMOS relating to RAM specifically. I have checked the mfg website for more info. I can find no reason for this NOT to work. The system will not recognize the DIMM even if it is the only RAM in the system.

I've have combed this forum looking for any information and nothing offered so far has solved my problem. If anybody can offer any info, please do!!

This site contains some of the files I've used for reference
    http://ajz.250free.com/586_M5xx/M571_M574/index.html

(the M573 links)

Thanks!

2. Rockn

Rockn

THe DIMMS will not work with the SIMMS still installed in the motherboard and I am sure they are set to either run at 100MHz or 133Hz bus speed. I think you need to change the front side bus speed to match the DIMMS and you would then have to change your CPU multiplier as well.

3. sharrell

sharrell Thread Starter

I've tried the DIMM alone and it won't even boot.

How do I change the bus speed, etc?

4. Slithy Tove

Slithy Tove Guest

Changing the bus speed.....changing the CPU multiplier.....

These generally fall in the category of "overclocking". There are huge amounts of information on the web regarding overclocking. You would be well-served to research this area and learn of some of the implications, difficulties, etc. (A little overclocking done incorrectly can destroy your CPU fairly quickly)

5. Gnosisless

Gnosisless

Silly question: Do you know for certain the DIMM is good?

I bought some RAM at Circuit City (ok, yes, it was an off brand) and went around and around trying to get the system to recognize it properly. Finally, I exchanged it. Worked first time.

6. sharrell

sharrell Thread Starter

Actually, I don't know for sure that it's good. I'll try it in another machine before I take it back. I'll let you know how it goes.

7. brianF

brianF

8. nathanco

nathanco

Try this. My previous experience is that some motherboards require that the RAMs with highest memory be placed on the first slot. Maybe you can change the positioning and retry. It might work.

9. sharrell

sharrell Thread Starter

Okay, tried the stick in another machine--Unsuccessful! Wouldn't even boot. Returned to store for another. That one didn't work either (in the problem machine).

JP2 was already jumpered for SDRAM. I tried rejumpering to EDO. That didn't work either.

Are SIMMs still available? And do you think that would be a better option?

10. Norwalker

Norwalker

11. Whitewolf

Whitewolf

May be a dumb question but did you try the new stick in another machine? Another thing is the dimm PC 66 or PC 100/133 if it needs PC 66 then the 100 stips won't work.

12. nathanco

nathanco

Hmmm... in the old days, RAMs must be installed in pairs, otherrwise they won't work. Could it be that for an additional 128MB, you should actually get 2 pieces of 64MB to go with your 2 pieces of 16MB?

13. sharrell

sharrell Thread Starter

Actually, I've given up on this now. I've got an old machine that I'm going to use instead. I'm going to put the new ram on the other mobo and swap hard drives.

But thanks for all your suggestions.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/71779

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice