1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Not responding(EVER)!!

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by swissmis2, Apr 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. swissmis2

swissmis2 Thread Starter

I am having problems with my PC if I open more than one window the whole thing freezes. Sometimes I can use ctrl+alt+delete and end the task. sometime I have to unplug the whole thing just to shut it off!! A friend tried msconfig(thinking I had too much running) Unfortunately it didn't help. The not responding messesages are not the same everytime. sometimes it is explorer sometimes it is deley run, wupdater, GMT, just about everything.
    I tried to system restore to an earlier time but it won't let me go back more than this month and the problem is at leat 2 months old. I do not have a back up disk for windows ME or any other operating system. Dr. Watson gives me the usual taskbar message. Also not helping!!! I am sure the problem is something I downloaded or maybe the kids.. But I can't find it in add/remove programs I have ran an ad-ware scan and McAfee scan with no results I cannot run yahoo messenger at all anymore it freezes instantly. this is my computer information.
    Microsoft windows Me
    63.0MB memory
    56% free
    I don't have any special games or graphics just your basic Walmart HP
    No printer,joysticks,camera's.
    I have a logitech optical mouse installed that is it.
    Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. RSM123

RSM123

swissmis2,

Welcome to TSG :)

Just two suggestions - check the inside of your case (particularly the fan/s)and the power supply for dust, as overheating can cause programs to lockup.

However it may be that you don't have very much Ram installed. Have you / can you try another stick ... preferably 128mb or greater, depending on what your system can support.

Back in 1999 I had a 450 mhz PC with 64mb and it would often lockup while surfing, simply because I had insufficient Ram. Once I added another 128mb it was rectified. Though if you do add more, make sure you put the larger stick of Ram in the first slot.

Hope you get more suggestions soon.

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Well GMT is known spyware and most likely spyware and adware is the problem.

Please do the following:

To check for a virus please visit one of the following sites for a free online virus scan. Even if you a virus scanner installed, this one gives you a second opinion, and it will be up-to-date which yours might not be.

Symantec:
    http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/home.asp?j=1&langid=ie&venid=sym&plfid=23&pkj=TBOWYHGBYNCJEIMXQKC

Trend Micro:
    http://housecall.trendmicro.com

If you do not currently have and antivirus program install you can try AVG from www.grisoft.com – it is free.

In IE go to Tools -> Internet Options -> and delete Files and Cookies.

To check for and remove any Spyware or Adware that may be installed on your machine, download and install Adaware and Spybot. Then update each program before scanning. Fix ALL problems found by either of the programs. You may need to reboot and have the scan run at startup. Run it again to make sure all components have been removed. There is also an Immunize in feature in Spybot that should be enabled to protect against some installations of Adware/Spyware.

Ad-aware and Spybot:
    http://spywareinfo.com/downloads.php?cat=sp#det

Then post a Hijack This Log to have someone analysis it for further cleaning/recommendations.

Hijack This:
    http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/downloads.html

4. swissmis2

swissmis2 Thread Starter

Well you did it!! ( I think)
    I tried the spyware and adware programs they cleaned things right up!!
    Thank you so much for the quick response to my questions!
    This is a great site..
    Thanks again,
    Jeni (y) :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/223815

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice