1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved (Not Responding) non-repsonsive script or plugin

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Five, Oct 11, 2017.

Advertisement
  1. Five

Five Thread Starter

Sometimes I get the box telling me if it is the script or plugin, and lately it doesn't - it just hangs with (Not Responding) up at the top. It can stay that way for hours till I end the program.

Windows XP Home SP3,(it won't take SP4) This was a clean install just this spring. Using Firefox, but the problem occurs with others also.

Usually this happens on facebook, but today it was everywhere. This site came in and responded like a Champ, so I thought I'd go to a forum I frequent. New Tab and Bam! First off, It hung up and wouldn't even let me type the first 2 letters of the site name. Usually there are no problems there.

Earlier today it was hung up and thought I'd do a restart - next thing I knew it was shutting down and there were Microsoft updates that tried to go on - it got to 2 of 6 and stayed at that point for over an hour - so I unplugged it.
    After a while I came back and started it again - ran Malaware bytes - that went well and timely. Then I came here.

2. Sponsor

3. DaveA

DaveA David Trusted Advisor

NOT responding is normally caused because of not enough RAM.

System spec's would help?

4. flavallee

flavallee Frank Trusted Advisor

5. plodr

plodr Liz

XP only had 3 Service Packs. Windows 2000 had 4 Service packs.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Service_pack

Where is this 4th service pack that you say won't install?

Since you mention Facebook, I assume it is "not responding" when you are using a browser. What browser and version of the browser are you using?

6. Five

Five Thread Starter

System info: A<D Athlon 64 Processor 3800+
    2.41 GHS 960 MB RAM
    Total size 149 GB 114 Free
    Today started out OK. Click icon for facebook, came up within the minute, but then I opened another tab - and it quit responding.
    From there on it was all down hill.
    I even got to this site a few times - logged in, got to this page, but the blue wheel just kept on turning and I could not scroll down.
    I get my Email OK, but tried to reply to one and the hourglass went crazy with jittering.
    I cannot open web pages that I have saved to My Document.
    Media player will not open.
    Google Chrome & Avast Safe Browser opened & I could type a web address, but then it didn't go anywhere.
    Firefox, & Explorer won't open at all now.

I'm typing this on my son's computer.

I'm wondering if this could be a hardware problem as it really began last year and has been creeping slowly. Since then I've had a hard drive crash and this is a new one.

7. flavallee

flavallee Frank Trusted Advisor

Liz:
    He's referring to the "Unofficial SP4" for Windows XP that's mentioned in the second part of my Windows XP install and update guide.
    https://forums.techguy.org/threads/guide-for-doing-a-clean-install-of-windows-xp.1128884/
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/windows_xp_service_pack_4_unofficial.html
    I've used it twice after doing clean installs of Windows XP Professional SP3, and it works fine.
    I've never tried it in Windows XP Home Edition SP3, so it's possible it may not work with it.

---------------------------------------------------------------

8. plodr

plodr Liz

Sorry, I don't deal with "unofficial" service packs. So SP4 isn't something I know about.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
  9. Five

Five Thread Starter

This SP 4 is listed in the updates,but it is not on the computer. The last 6 updates did go on OK and timely last nite. All else is still "not responding".

10. Five

Five Thread Starter

I finally called someone to look at it. He removed some things and just said that facebook's unending page could have been the problem using up too much of the computer's resources. He suggested that I give up XP and move "up" to at least "7", however I plan to keep it till at least 2019 when they will quit the updates. These New windows are how Microsoft makes it money. Well everyone doesn't have the money to keep buying new their new "Windows" and they likely have the patents so locked up that no one else could possibly create a similar.

11. plodr

plodr Liz

If you don't want to spend money on Windows, I suggest you start learning linux by booting live from a USB stick.
    Linux runs nicely on old hardware.

There is no point moving up to Windows 7 because support for that ends in Jan. 2020.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1197754