1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Not strictly a technical question: trouble starting Vista

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by ozacrot, Nov 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ozacrot

ozacrot Thread Starter

Hello,

Yesterday morning I restarted my Dell Inspiron 6400 to finish installing an update to my virus protection software (McAfee Plus), and as the computer was shutting down my external HD became disconnected from the laptop. Since then, however, my computer has failed to start. It gets to the very first screen, with the manufacturer's logo and progress bar, then moves to an error page.

On that page, "Windows Boot Manager" informs me that failed to start. "A recent hardware or software change might be the cause." To fix the problem, they recommend I insert my Windows installation disc, follow the repair process, etc.

I do not have this DVD, as it never shipped with my laptop. They recommend, as an alternative, to contact my computer manufacturer. I've done so, and checked through Dell's support site. Their FAQs told me to contact their support department. However, my warranty has also ended. Simply to contact them to find out what my recourse is will cost $49. I'd prefer not to do that unless I know they'll send me some sort of repair DVD.

So, a few questions, more to your experiences than to the software itself:

1. Is it likely that Dell will provide a Windows Vista DVD to a computer past warranty? I doubt it sincerely, but perhaps there's a chance.

2.If that doesn't work, I presume I'll have to buy Vista. Being as I had Home Basic before, would I be able to purchase and use an upgrade disc, or would I have to get a full version?

In the meantime, I think I'm going to download Ubuntu. Just in case.

Thanks.

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

They should provide one for a small fee.

You won't be able to upgrade a Dell version of Vista with a normal Vista upgrade. You would need to get a full version, or an upgrade that Dell has altered for their machines.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/771766

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice